1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad Hoc Wireless 54G drops to 11Mbps

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MSdosKing, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSdosKing

MSdosKing Thread Starter

I'm trying to connect 2 laptops (Toshiba Satellite 1950 & P20). The P20 has built in 802.11g using Atheros AR5001x+. The 1950 has nothing so I got a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card to set up an ad hoc network between the 2.

After installing the card and setting the speed to 54Mbps on the 1950, I get a connection at 54 Mbps for 1-2 seconds and then they immediately revert back to 11 Mbps on the Windows Task Manager Window. The actual speed is about 1 Mbps. All I'm trying to do is copy a 100Mb file from one to the other.

Connecting the P20 to the internet using dial-up and using the 1950 doesn't do anything different. Slow, very slow!

I have tried almost every combination of configurations, channels, security, distances.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would really appreciate this.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The 54G standard is fairly new. The drivers may be beta versions.

Firstly visit the manufacturers sites to ensure that you have the latest drivers for each end.

3. MSdosKing

MSdosKing Thread Starter

Thanks. I have that suspicion too. Toshiba doesn't have any updates. And neither does LinkSys. Then I tried the Atheros website and they have nothing. The Toshiba support line people don't have an answer either. The Linksys support people say their stuff works fine at 54Mbps with their own products. I tend to believe all of them but I still have that feeling that there is a secret I'm missing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/202024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice