1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad & Pop-up blocking

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by n8thegr898, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n8thegr898

n8thegr898 Thread Starter

I have used Norton Internet Security 2003 & 2004 and have been pleased with the overall package. Just installed Internet Security 2005 and have had a whole variety of problems. Support is over in India somewhere and isn't helpful. I've removed NIS 2005 and installed PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005. I've heard nothing but great things about them and so far it all seems to be true. The only thing PC-Cillin misses is the ability to block ads and pop-ups. Norton did a great job of this.

What do other people use or recommend to automatically block ads and pop-ups in IE and/or FireFox. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. mobo

mobo

3. n8thegr898

n8thegr898 Thread Starter

Firefox does a great job of blocking the pop-ups, however how do you get it to automatically remove the embedded ads on pages? If downloaded the Adblock extension, but you have to manually remove ads for that. Norton used to do it automatically.

4. dugq

dugq

A good little program I have discovered recently and has quickly made it onto my essentials list is Proxomitron.

Its a web filter which can do lots of cool things, including blocking popups, ands ads, blocking cookies altogether or rewriting them to be session only, plus loads more

The nice thing about is is that it is an internal proxy so all your browsers use it, that way there is no need to have IE and Firefox configured seperately.

here is some general info

http://www.sankey.ws/proxomitron.html

And here is the configuration set I use

http://computercops.biz/postt79253

One thing though, the learning curve is pretty steep, but the configuration file above is pretty good out of the box.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice