1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AD Sites & Services Question / Debaucle

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheBSide, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

I have been trying to go through my error logs to fix some warnings that were left over from our last administrator mainly relating to replication. In the process of this I have stumbled across something that is a bit confusing to me.
    Apparently when he set up our second domain controller he set it up initially as ISVR02EX, and at some point renamed it "ISSVR02" to match our First Domain Controller "ISSVR01". However, now when on "ISSVR01" and I look in the Active Directory Sites and Services I see;
    - Servers
    + ISSVR01
    + ISVR02EX
    and When I am on "ISSVR02" in AD Sites and Services I see;
    - Servers
    + ISSVR01
    + ISSVR02

When I run frsdiag.exe on "ISSVR02" it tells me;
    Checking for errors/warnings in ntfrsutl ds ...
    ERROR: This server's "Member Ref" property for the SYSVOL volume does NOT seem to be correct !!!
    To fix this, use ADSIEdit and edit the "fRSMemberReference" Property of the nTFRSSubscriber object named "CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share)" located under this Server's Computer Object.
    This value should match the FQDN of this Server. Current Values are:
    Current Value = "CN=ISVR02EX,CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share),CN=File Replication Service,CN=System,DC=integrated,DC=internal"
    Suggested Value = "CN=ISSVR02,CN=Domain System Volume (SYSVOL share),CN=File Replication Service,CN=System,DC=integrated,DC=internal"
    Please note there is a small chance the above Suggested Value may not be correct - See below for more info on what the Proper Value should be!
    For more Info See KB Article : 312862 Recovering Missing FRS Objects and FRS Attributes in Active Directory - Search for the step about Updating the "fRSMemberReference" object (Step 8 on the "Recovering from Deleted FRS Objects" section
    ......... failed with 1 error(s)

I also ran frsdiag.exe on "ISSVR01" and it gives me the following log;
    Checking Repadmin Showreps for errors...
    DC=integrated,DC=internal
    Default-First-Site-Name\ISVR02EX via RPC
    objectGuid: b1b1cda3-0723-476c-9388-162e38e384f0
    Last attempt @ 2007-02-12 13:31.46 failed, result 8524:
    The DSA operation is unable to proceed because of a DNS lookup failure.
    Last success @ 2006-05-06 14:41.31.
    68492 consecutive failure(s).

CN=Configuration,DC=integrated,DC=internal
    Last attempt @ 2007-02-12 12:45.36 failed, result 8524:
    Last success @ 2006-05-06 14:05.31.
    16762 consecutive failure(s).

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=integrated,DC=internal
    Last attempt @ 2007-02-12 12:45.09 failed, result 8524:
    Last success @ 2006-05-06 13:59.25.
    6768 consecutive failure(s).

At long last, my question is this;
    How do I remove the incorrect server on my domain controller and replace it with the correct one, and should that take care of the inconsistancies in replication? Or do I leave it alone and just change it as the log files above stated to do in ADSI edit?

Thanks for any help!
    Brian

2. inetbogey

inetbogey

Hi TheBSide,
    I don't know what server software you are using, but if windows, i think start/programs/server manager will show you who the PDC thinks the BDC is. you will have to change the name to the new name. also check the trusted domains to see if it has the new name.
    please post if you correct this problem.
    Good Luck!

3. TheBSide

TheBSide Thread Starter

It's not corrected yet.

ISSVR01 = SBS 2003
    ISSVR02 = Windows Server 2003

I will post back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice