Ad-Unaware?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cagedheat3

As usual I am having issues with adware. I have the personal version of AD-Aware 6.0, but the updates dont come quick enough I guess. I can see it scan all these adware programs like Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cursor etc. but it doesnt recognize it as adware. I have scanned through my registry to try and find these files but it is just impossible. Wherever they are, they are elusive. I also have Hijack This! and have used that to scan my PC and found nothing. So I am just stuck with them? Pop ups of travelocity.com! I cant take it any more!!!!!!! Plus my PC is like a Grandpa on trileptal. VERY SLOOOW. So what can I do?? Any help would be awesome. :)

Heat

---Smokey this is not 'Nam its bowling, there are rules. Mark it zero.

Miz

Neither Spybot nor AdAware is effective in removing some particularly nasty spyware called Cool Web Search.

To find out if that's the problem you're having, go to this SpywareInfo site, download and run CWShredder. Can't hurt and might be the solution.

go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the SECURITY forum.

It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

cagedheat3,

Could you please check that you have AdAware build 6.181. If not, uninstall the old version, download the newest build from
Here
Make sure you have the lastest Reffile (01R 223 2.10.03).

"I have the personal version of AD-Aware 6.0, but the updates dont come quick enough I guess." There have been 9 reffile updates since Sept. 1st. And the signature for Comet Cursor was in update 219.

Also, AdAware includes signatures for CoolWebSearch.

If you would like any help in running the scan, please ask.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Make sure you have Ad-aware 6.0.181 installed, and not one of the older 6.0 versions. The new version will detect and install an updated reference file every few days, but the older version will not. Make sure to uninstall the older version first before installing the newer version. And make sure that "Activate in-depth scan" has a green checkmark instead of a red X before you start the scanning process.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

My bet is that you have an old build of A-A 6, as suggested above ... updates for the current build are coming out every few days.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online