1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-Unaware?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cagedheat3, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cagedheat3

cagedheat3 Thread Starter

As usual I am having issues with adware. I have the personal version of AD-Aware 6.0, but the updates dont come quick enough I guess. I can see it scan all these adware programs like Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cursor etc. but it doesnt recognize it as adware. I have scanned through my registry to try and find these files but it is just impossible. Wherever they are, they are elusive. I also have Hijack This! and have used that to scan my PC and found nothing. So I am just stuck with them? Pop ups of travelocity.com! I cant take it any more!!!!!!! Plus my PC is like a Grandpa on trileptal. VERY SLOOOW. So what can I do?? Any help would be awesome. :)

Heat

---Smokey this is not 'Nam its bowling, there are rules. Mark it zero.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Miz

Miz

Neither Spybot nor AdAware is effective in removing some particularly nasty spyware called Cool Web Search.

To find out if that's the problem you're having, go to this SpywareInfo site, download and run CWShredder. Can't hurt and might be the solution.

4. skyman

skyman

5. $teve

$teve

go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the SECURITY forum.

It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

6. cannymum

cannymum

cagedheat3,

Could you please check that you have AdAware build 6.181. If not, uninstall the old version, download the newest build from
    Here
    Make sure you have the lastest Reffile (01R 223 2.10.03).

"I have the personal version of AD-Aware 6.0, but the updates dont come quick enough I guess." There have been 9 reffile updates since Sept. 1st. And the signature for Comet Cursor was in update 219.

Also, AdAware includes signatures for CoolWebSearch.

If you would like any help in running the scan, please ask.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Make sure you have Ad-aware 6.0.181 installed, and not one of the older 6.0 versions. The new version will detect and install an updated reference file every few days, but the older version will not. Make sure to uninstall the older version first before installing the newer version. And make sure that "Activate in-depth scan" has a green checkmark instead of a red X before you start the scanning process.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. winchester73

winchester73

My bet is that you have an old build of A-A 6, as suggested above ... updates for the current build are coming out every few days.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice