1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AD Users & Computers Printer OU

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stod73, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stod73

stod73 Thread Starter

I have a question regarding Printers in the "Printer" OU in AD User & Computers. We have a mixed mode AD environment. Our print/file server is running Server 2003. All shared printers have the "List in the directory" check box checked.

I am wondering why the printers do not show up in the Printer OU. I tried adding them manually but I get the message "This printer cannot be published. To publish printers on computers running Windows Server 2003 use the Printers folder."

The printers show up when you go to add them on a workstation. Just curious as to why they aren't listed in the OU. Is it because I'm in mixed mode?

Thanks

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Mixed mode shouldn't have anything to do with it... Basically mixed mode is just for the clients and authentication and backwards conmpatibility, a few other things like that.

look here to see mixed mode vrs native mode AD (though it is 2000 you get the point)

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Print.cfm?Action=Print&ArticleID=7156

I would take a look at why it won't manually create a printer object... What is the exact oerror you get - verbaitim please.

3. stod73

stod73 Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't think mixed mode would affect it but I'm running out of ideas.

The exact message:
    "Active Directory
    This printer cannot be published. To publish printers on computers running the Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 operating systems, use the Printers folder."

And then there's an "OK" button.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you checked your Group policys on the server for printing?

Check here - I know its 2003 but usually they are semi cross compatible -

Network Printing Group Policy Settings
    The following table lists and describes the Group Policy settings that are associated with Network Printing.

Group Policy Settings Associated with Network Printing

Group Policy Setting Description
    Allow printers to be published
    Determines whether the computer’s shared printers can be published in Active Directory.

Disallow installation of printers that use kernel-mode drivers
    Determines whether printers using kernel-mode drivers can be installed on the local computer. If enabled, prevents a printer that is using kernel-mode drivers from being installed on the local computer.

Automatically publish new printers in Active Directory
    Determines whether the Add Printer Wizard automatically publishes the computer’s shared printers in Active Directory.

Allow pruning of published printers
    Determines whether the domain controller can prune (delete from Active Directory) the printers published by this computer.

Printer browsing
    Announces the presence of shared printers to print browse master servers when Active Directory is not available.

Prune printers that are not automatically republished
    Determines whether the system prunes printers that are not automatically republished. (Applies to printers running on operating systems other than Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003. Also applies to printers running on Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 that are published outside of their domain.)

Directory pruning interval
    Specifies how often the pruning service on a domain controller contacts computers to verify that their printers are operational.

Directory pruning retry
    Specifies how many times the pruning service on a domain controller repeats its attempt to contact a computer before pruning the computer’s printers.

Directory pruning priority
    Sets the priority of the pruning thread.

Check published state
    Directs the system to periodically verify that printers published by this computer still appear in Active Directory. Also specifies how often the system repeats verification.

Web-based printing
    Determines whether Internet printing is supported on this server. (If you disable this policy, Internet printing is not supported.)

Custom support URL in the Printers and Faxes folder
    Adds a customized Web page link to the Printers and Faxes folder. By default, the Printers and Faxes folder includes a link to the Microsoft Support Web page or to the Web page for the vendor of the currently selected printer. You can use this policy to replace the default link with a link to your organization’s Web page.

Computer location
    Specifies the default location criteria used when searching for printers.

Pre-populate printer search location text
    Enables the physical Location Tracking support feature of Windows Server 2003 printers. If you disable this policy or do not configure it, Location Tracking is disabled. Printer proximity is estimated based on IP address and subnet mask.

Allow print spooler to accept client connections
    Determines how clients access the print server over the network. By default, this policy setting automatically enables connections upon creation of the first shared printer or clustered server spooler resource.

Point and Print restrictions
    Restricts a client computer’s ability to connect to and install a printer driver from print servers. By default, this policy setting allows managed clients to use Point and Print only with servers within their forest. An administrator can use this setting to add servers to the list of trusted print servers. Disabling this setting enables connections to any accessible print server.

For more information about Group Policy settings, see the “Group Policy Settings Reference” in the Tools and Settings Collection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice