1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adapter Chip

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lildon012, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lildon012

lildon012 Thread Starter

I was trying to get my computers screen resolution up higher but it wouldn't go higher so I stumbled upon something called an adapter. On the menu it said that you could disable it and I did just that for some unknown reason, which was really stupid cause now my computer won't open up to the desk top. The operating system was windows XP home edition.
    I was wondering how I could enable it again?

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Just before windows starts loading,start pressing F8.
    Select safe mode from the list and hit enter.
    You should be able to renable it there.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The display adapter is what allows you to see on your monitor what you're doing on your computer. If you disable it, you can't see or do anything. Hopefully, you're able to restart in safe mode and get it re-enabled.

What resolution were you trying to set your computer to?

What is the name and model of the display adapter in your computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. lildon012

lildon012 Thread Starter

My computer won't enter safe mode, all it does is make a lot of letters go down the screen.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Turn it completely off, wait about 30 seconds, then turn it back on. Right after you press the power button, start tapping the F8 key repeatedly about once a second. Don't stop tapping it until the black screen appears with a choice of options, which includes starting in safe mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Those "letters" are just status messages that appear when boot into Safe Mode. It can seem like the process stalled, but unless you're leaving it sit for something like a half an hour, it's probably still processing.

7. lildon012

lildon012 Thread Starter

Ok Its been sitting on the same screen for over 30min. It hasn't opened up to safe mode.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice