1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adaptor not seen by winipcfg

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike b, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike b

mike b Thread Starter

I have been trying to install a Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem via USB on a Win 98 desktop.

I downloaded the latest drivers from the net. I installed the modem, the Device Manager sees the adaptor says it is also working properly.

In Control Panel / Network, I see the adapter and a TCP/IP protocol entry for it. The bindings and all the settings are as they should be.

The modem works fine through my laptop - but not my desktop.

But winipcfg doesn't see the adapter at all. The only adapter I see on the menu in winipcfg is the PPP adapter.

I have removed and reinstalled the device & drivers a number of times with no luck.

Has anyone got any idea how to crack this one????

2. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

My question to you is, why not connect via Ethernet rather than USB? You will have a faster connection from the ethernet port rather than from the USB port. By any chance are you connecting your laptop via ethernet and your desktop via USB simultaneously? If so, that could be the reason because your modem probably cancels out the USB connection once you connect with the ethernet.

3. mike b

mike b Thread Starter

I am using USB because the desktop does not have an ethernet card.
    The laptop connects OK with either USB or ethernet.
    I am not trying to connect laptpop and desktop simultaneously.

Since my first post I have removed all network/communications devices/adaptors and settings (including Dial-up). By reinstalling the Cable Modem only I can get it to work. If I then try to reinstall Dial-up only the Cable Modem is seen by WINPCFG ie first one installed prevents recognition of the next - still a puzzle!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd buy a $10 Ethernet card, you'll be FAR happier with that connection. USB tends to be affected by other USB devices in use, not a desirable situation...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice