1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adaware 6 actually exists.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cnm, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I think he said it ruined his IE before he even ran it though.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

brendan and cnm

Thanks for putting me in the picture

So he ran it or not ?

It found and removed spyware etc, whether he asked it to or not

But whatever - ie stopped working

System restore - eveything ok again

And he did all this 4 times - because he couldn't believe what was happening

EDIT - this is weird, we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out - no doubt all will be revealed in time

steam

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Yes something like that.

4. cnm

cnm Thread Starter

It is only my guess that Adaware 6 fixed things without asking.
    The log just showed the spyware and browser hijacks that Adaware found. But I don't see how it could break IE unless it fixed things. And I doubt that he would have told it to fix anything after the first one or two IE breakages.

Meanwhile the forum remains offline. Wonder if they are doing a product recall?

5. cnm

cnm Thread Starter

6. TOGG

TOGG

Well , the official explanation of the early problems given on the AAPlus 6 page is that they accidentally uploaded a beta or buggy set of definitions which have now been replaced. (Who do they think they are - Microsoft?)

Judging from the problem report linked from cnm's last post, this new version is not much like the old one if the scan only took 1 minute 36 seconds. The task settings given at the start of the logfile seem to suggest that this is much more like Spybot and that it won't trawl through all the files on your HD like 5.83 appeared to do.

Still waiting for my e-mail though!!

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

Well I got my email notification for the new Adaware Plus 6. I downloaded it and installed it and ran a scan with no problems. Of course it didn't find anything as I have been scanning with spybot at least once a week while waiting for the new Adaware. here is a screenshot of what the new interface looks like.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Flrman1

Flrman1

BTW it only took about a minute to scan.

9. cnm

cnm Thread Starter

That speed is impressive. Was that with alll the scan options checked?

10. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I am interested in the new scan techniques that make it so fast.
    I imagine it still has to scan the whole drive, instead of just checking for a program because if that were the case, well it just wouldnt remove things efficiently.

The only other quick scan technique i can think of is to search for certain files.
    Say its database finds 3 spyware files "file1.reg" "file2.exe" and "file3.ini".
    It could take those names, and scan the hard drive for those files.
    That would probably be more efficient. Maybe it works like that.

11. Flrman1

Flrman1

I went back and checked my settings and in the first scan I did not have scan within archives checked so i did another scan and it took exactly 2 mins. 10 secs. here is a shot of the settings.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. TOGG

TOGG

Got my copy of v 6 this morning and ran a scan with the default settings which was very quick and found nothing.

Then, experienced power user that I am, I decided to read the Help file! This version appears to be far more configurable than 5.83 and when, like firman, I enabled 'search within archives' and also selected' Drives + folders' it ran for 12 minutes 44 seconds and found 43 items. One was a 'bluestreak' tracking cookie and 42 were archived Spybot items (a useful reminder to purge Spybot Recovery).

If I understand the Help files correctly, I can now disable the archives scan and deselect drives and so have shorter, Spybot type, scans in future if that is what I want.

Just waiting to see how the updating process works when the next set of definitions becomes available. Unless some conflicts emerge in future I am happy to run AdAware and Spybot.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice