1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adaware and spybot backups

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by missfuffy, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

You have AdAware installed.
    "If you have the AdAware option to scan inside archives enabled, AdAware may find files in the Spybot-S&D folder. Spybot-S&D does not contain any spyware, but it creates backups of everything you fix (until you remove those backups from the Recovery list), and AdAware complains about these backups. You can safely ignore these backups found by AdAware."

This is the message I get when I double click on Spybot S&D. Should I remove anything from Spybot and if so, what should I remove, where can I find what to remove and how should I remove what is being referred to?
    I am new to all of this and am quite anxious about it all.
    Does the "Recovery button" have anything to do with this? Please help!!
    .....missfuffy

2. $teve

$teve

Anything which is identified by Spybot is safe to remove....you can also delete all bckups in Adaware.
    ;)

3. winchester73

winchester73

Spybot detection by Ad-Aware:
    The reason that Ad-Aware 6 will detect SpyBot's backups is that the backups are simply relocated into a password protected zipped archive by design. A-A will detect any and all known objects that are in it's database if they are in your system ... even if they are archived (this includes System Restore, etc.). A-A is not targeting SB's archives, it is finding the objects that are contained in them. This is what the program is designed to do, find all instances of the objects in it's database no matter where they are located. This is not anything to worry about. You can add them to your A-A Ignore List, or use selective scanning to not scan SpyBot's backup folder.

4. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

Thank you; this really makes sense to me. This is the first time I feel that I have a handle on what I am supposed to do with all this stuff re: removing spyware.
    missfuffy says ........... thankyou

5. missfuffy

missfuffy Thread Starter

Confused: How do I add S&D Backups to AA Ignore List?
    Also: How do I use selective scanning.
    I am so new to all of this and I need some help... missfuffy asks for help

6. winchester73

winchester73

Ignore List
    Always do the Ignore List items first, before removing anything.
    If you wish to ignore some of the detected objects:
    From the same "Results" window that lists the detected items, select any items from the list that you want to "Ignore".
    Right click in the scan results window and select "Add selection to
    ignore-list".
    Click "OK".
    Then continue with the removal process.

That would be easier for you than the selective scanning ...

Ad-Aware Reference Guide: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=164245&

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice