1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AdAware update

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Tabvla, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Anyone else having problems updating AdAware?

I have not been able to update for 2 weeks. I have had this problem in the past but it usually cleared within a day or two, so I had always assumed that it was a problem with Lavasoft servers.

But 2 weeks...???

:confused:

2. guitar

guitar Banned

i'm downloading one as i type so no problems here

3. hewee

hewee

I have seen troubles too. I think there servers are over loaded.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

If I monitor AdAware through Task Manager > Applications then a few seconds after I try to connect to the Lavasoft servers then the "Running" message changes to a "Not Responding" message next to AdAware.

So it seems that trying to connect to Lavasoft for an update freezes AdAware. In fact I then have to force an end to the application via Task Manager because the AdAware UI has frozen.

Does this indicate that some malware is freezing AdAware when I try to update?

AdAware will scan normally. It is just the update that creates the problem.

:confused:

5. stantley

stantley

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Stantley,

Tks for the link.

Updated. Scan runs normally. Nothing abnormal found, just one tracking cookie. AdAware still freezes if I try to connect to the update server. If it does not clear within the next few days I will reinstall and see if that clears it.

Tks again

:)

7. hewee

hewee

Yep same thing I get a lot of anymore from there site. But if you wait it will respond again and update or tell you there is no update. When it does that to me I go outside and have a smoke and then when I get back I click update or ok if no update.

8. manninagh

manninagh

Hi. I have just joined this forum to ask someone the exact same question. I have exactly the same problem. If you have got an answer now coul you please let me know aswell. I cant log on to any lavasoft web page aswell as not being able to update, I wonder if someone has control of my computer?
    hope you can help.
    Please send private message as I dont know how to navigate this site yet
    Thanks

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I quit using Adaware a long time ago .. but since Ya'll had me curious, I just re-installed it.
    No problem getting the updates here .. but it did seem to take a little longer to connect.

Could this be an IE7 problem ??? ...
    I'm still on IE6 because of all the IE7 problems ... but FireFox is my default browser.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

I'm using IE7 and just updated AdAware with no problems

11. manninagh

manninagh

Hi. I have same problem but I cant log on to any page containing lavasoft either. How are you getting on?

12. manninagh

manninagh

Can anyone give me the address and port numbers for Ad Aware Plus, maybe these are in some way in correct. It is Very strange how I cant connect to any lavasoft web page.
    Any ideas.

13. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

I have used the manual method of updating for the past 2 weeks as suggested by stantley in this post....

Today all things are back to normal... :confused: :confused: .... and that is after being unable to connect to the Lavasoft update site for the entire month of January.

If the problem is caused by overloaded servers that is OK. However, if the problem is caused by some malware that is preventing connection to the Lavasoft servers then that is not OK.

There is something strange going on here...:eek:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535536