1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add a HD, system slows to a crawl

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DudleyDoRite, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

I have a P4 with a SATA 160 drive. I added a 250G ATA drive I had kicking around. Had a bunch of trouble getting it to boot off the SATA drive, but resolved that. The 250 is on the 0 bus, while the SATA 160 is on the 2 bus. Now it takes over 15 minutes to boot up and the computer is nearly unusable with any application. Does SATA and ATA drives not mix? Is there some secret about adding a ATA drive that I don't know bout?

2. bigbear

bigbear

The boot drive should be connected to either sata 0 or 1 on the motherboard.
    Is the jumper on the pata drive set as Cable Select CS?

3. DudleyDoRite

DudleyDoRite Thread Starter

with drive manager, it sez the sata drive is on bus 2. The ata drive was set on CS, on the slave position on cable, but it detected as bus 0 master, and the DVD drive disappeared, so I set the ATA drive as Slave, then the DVD drive returned. if this can't be resolved, I'll have to remove the ATA drive and I guess I have to go buy a SATA drive? This configuration is unusable

4. bigbear

bigbear

Have you tried changing the sata lead to the primary connection on the motherboard 0 or 1?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice