1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add a second harddisk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a.ruiter, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. a.ruiter

a.ruiter Banned Thread Starter

Hello,

Re: Win98SE - Intel 465 Mhz

The harddisk in my PC is 8 GB of which only 2,56 GB is still available now.
    From I similar PC (done away in the meantime) I still have a 8 GB IDE harddisk.
    and want to place it in my PC.
    Please mind that I have never opened a PC sofar.

a) I don't know to what electronic circuit-cable it must be connected (wondering about serial and parallel)

b) then this second harddisk must somehow be connected to and made visisable to the system (by cables I think; however what cables, new ones or
    already present)

When I tried to google this subject I only found items on partitioning etc, not
    about how to get and connect a second harddisk inside a PC.
    Furthermore I have no idea whether there are special well-known problems
    related to having a seond harddisk installed (e.g. very slow system)

Advises will be highly aprreciated.

Best regards,
    a.ruiter

2. Derrick

Derrick

3. winbob

winbob

4. probinso

probinso

It wouldn’t hurt to read up on the subject but from your hardware description you will have standard IDE drives and adding your drive should be fairly straight forward.

Set the drive jumpers.
    Connect the drive.
    Enable AutoDetect in the BIOS (if not already enabled)

*** Always partition and reformat the new drive. The BIOS may detect the drive parameters differently and reorganize the drive structure. You could be using the disk for a while before it overwrote critical information and suddenly the disk would be hosed.

First open the case and see if your drive is on the same cable as the CDROM. If this is the case then you likely have only one IDE cable and will need another cable. Most 486 machines will have 2 IDE connectors which allows you to connect up to 4 drives, 2 per cable.

The only tricky part of the installation is setting the drive jumpers. These determine when the drive is selected. Looking at the jumper on the drive already in the machine should tell you all you need to know.

The possible settings are usually printed right on the drive label but sometimes you have to look for the fine print on either the plastic connector or the circuit board. The possible settings are:
    M/Master/Primary - identifies the drive as the first drive
    S/Slave/Secondary - identifies the drive as the second drive
    CS/Cable Select - drives are identified by which connector they are on
    Only Drive - this is usually no jumper(or on a storage pin so it doesn’t get lost) and used when an older WesternDigital drive is the only drive on the cable

If the original drive was:
    Master - set the second drive to Slave if it will go on the same cable
    Master if it will go on it’s own cable
    CableSelect - set the second drive to cable select
    OnlyDrive - change it to Master and the new drive to Slave if on the same cable
    Master or OnlyDrive if on it’s own cable

The only thing left to do is to set the drive type in the BIOS. This may be done automatically or you may need to enter the drive parameters.

There are lots of things that can complicate the installation. If the above procedure doesn’t work for you then you will need to read up on the subject or get some help setting up system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice