1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add a sticky to networking warning about the dangers of AOL

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by firestormer, Feb 2, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. firestormer

firestormer Thread Starter

Add a sticky to networking warining about the dangers of AOL.

You may think this is silly. but there are so many AOL related problems out their. There are even bussinesses making money through removing AOL from peoples computers.

There are threads on reasons to hate AOL
    eg:
    http://forums.techguy.org/reviews/251607-why-you-hate-aol-2.html

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is that a suggestion or a demand? :confused:

3. firestormer

Lets call it a strong suggestion.

Remember the incident when AOL Email started blocking TSG replies because they wanted TSG to pay to send Emails to their customers?

4. JohnWill

I make money removing AOL from computers, so I'm not sure I want to warn about the dangers of AOL. :D

5. firestormer

Im sure there must be somethink in TSG's guidelines about being honest, helpful and ethical.

Number ten might just cover my point.
    And come to think of it these 10 points should have a home somewhere on the site as well.

6. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

They actually did that?

Pretty stupid of them to try that tactic...:D Too many people rely on TSG.

In any case, if we can get rid of AOHell...it'd be nice...

7. Dawndd

Dawndd

Hi -

When I 1st started computing there wasn't much choice. I have used AOL since it started. I don't do anything fancy with my computer and I don't network. It is MUCH preferable to Internet Explorer (any version) which has given me error messages and troubles through the yrs - especially IE7. I do have Mozilla Firefox which I only use to get on my Yahoo groups. I really like AOL, and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks I guess.

Dawn

8. firestormer

9. JohnWill

You can find a love/hate relationship with many services and companies. That doesn't mean they're not allowed a space at the table. Look at all the hate Microsoft threads, but you're still running Windows. ;)

10. Dawndd

Dawndd

I have looked at your thread and saw a list of short complaints with no explaination. I have never had a problem, nor have I ever been "deluded or deceived" by AOL; and I'm not know for being stupid. My spam is under control and I have plenty of free space left on my computer. I do have it on DSL and I don't have any of the problems that I saw mentioned. It looks to be more of a personal choice issue to me. I'm no computer wizard and I don't need this thing for anything intense or fancy. Maybe techies need something different than I do. I saw no "wonderful" proposed alternatives.

How can a thread of complainers convince me otherwise when I am happy on a daily basis with a service that I have been using since it began my years ago?

A confirmed AOL user,
    Dawn

11. JohnWill

Well, I can tell you a couple of horror stories about AOL, but it works for many people. I'm not here to try to convince anyone of the pros or cons of AOL. :)

12. Dawndd

Dawndd

As long as the horror stories stay away from me, and they have for quite awhile, then I'm going to stay where I'm comfortable. I promise I'll use Mozilla more often :) Maybe I'll even try the mail program that I have with my DSL provider. It's just so exhausting for me to learn new programs when I have so many better things to do. If AOL does something that causes me problems then I will be motivated to move into the modern age :)
    Dawn

13. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

In every one of my experiences with AOL I have had issues with it.
    Needless to say I hate it with a passion.

but I have to agree when JohnWill says:

Now I realize that this is a stereotype, but it seems to me that AOL enjoys marketing to the people who "Don't know any better."

To me there are just much better alternatives. Like firefox or just plain IE7.
    I don't know why people complain about IE7, I really like it. Sure Firefox is more customizable, but it does operate a lil slower.
    Maybe that's just because I had like 20 some extensions on it at the time :rolleyes:

eh w/e, as I see it if someone has issues about AOL they can just google "removing AOL" and I'm sure many sites will pop up. I don't see the need to start a thread just to bash a single program/ISP.

14. firestormer

But AOL is possibly the worst of the lot.

Given a choice would you chose AOL over anyother ISP?

Look at it this way.
    Would you warn a child about the dangers of the road. Yes
    Would you warn your child about how to use the internet. Yes

So why wont you warn people with little experiance about computers about AOL.

lol. im glad i started this thread.

15. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I would choose any other ISP over AOL.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice