1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add a user account from another domain ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tony414, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony414

Tony414 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm not sure where to start with this one. I have a web server with two nics installed. One nic goes out to the internet the other nic is connected to my internal network. I didn't want to install FTP on the web server. So what I would like to do is share the folder to the local web admin can update the website. But how can I put some security on that shared folder? I was hoping to just add that user account permissions to that folder but it's not in the same domain. Would it be bad to put the web server on my internal domain? Any help or thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

NT or W2K? Two domains or two domains in the same forest?

Never publish internet web services from your intranet unless you like having your network compromised.

You can load a VM on the web masters pc that is joined to the 2nd domain.

3. Tony414

Tony414 Thread Starter

The web server is a 2K3 with two nics installed in it. It is not joined to my domain. One nic is connected to my business DSL and the other is connected to my private network. Would it be bad to have the web server joined to my domain and then share the website folder and give the webmaster (which is someone on my private net) access? She uses DreamWeaver and you can use a network share within DreamWeaver. I want to stay away from adding FTP on the web server.

By the way. The web server is located in the same building as the webmaster. It's not an off site web hosting.

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Not sure what your concern is about ftp. You would disable ftp access on your internet facing router.

You could make the web server a member of your domain but again if it gets compromised so is your domain.

Did you understand the suggestion of a virtual machine and how you can use that?

5. Tony414

Tony414 Thread Starter

True, about the FTP. It's just one more thing to configure.

Do you mean load something like VNC? If not, then I'm not sure what you mean about a virtual machine on the web server

She does all her work in either dreamweaver or adobe contribute. So I would need to be able for her to use the transfer options offered by those pieces of software. Which is
    FTP
    Local/Network
    WebDAV
    RDS
    Microsoft Visual SourceSafe

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

the web developers pc is a member of the domain whereas the web server is not.

My suggestion was to load a virtual machine [virtualization] using a free products like Microsoft's Virtual PC or VMware. These allow the present machine to host a virtual machine with all the network and system access you desire but would not be a member of the domain but a member of the workgroup the web server is in.

Easiest thing is to engage ftp.
    Next easiest would be to load the web development software on the web server and have her RDP/RDS into the server and operate via a terminal session.
    Last but not least install a VM on her machine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice