1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add and Remove

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by david van meter, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. david van meter

david van meter Thread Starter

Title seems simple, until you go to the programs list and try to remove a program.

Most are easy to get rid of, you download something, you don't like it, you remove it.

I have been running into this problem for a long while, but have just let it be. Maybe, with this forum, I can get enough information to finally do something about it.

I go to add and remove, see something there that I either did not put there or downloaded by mistake or have changed my mind about having there. When I click to remove it goes about its way doing what I think it should be doing, then all of sudden it stops and says, that it cannot remove this program because it does not exist, what the $^#$%, if it did not exist, I would not be trying to get rid of it, hell I'll bet theres a lot of stuff there that does not exist, that I don't even care about, but when I can see it on my computer I am pretty sure its there. the other thing is that the program was loaded improprerly and cannot be removed.

If I did not load the thing how can I fix it, and then get rid of it. I am not good with computer, computers seem to lack alot of common sense.

Why is it that I can punch the same thing in 10 times, and nine times out of ten I will get a different result?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some removed applications leave entries there that should have been removed. Use MyUninstaller. It can uninstall programs, or just remove entries for programs that shouldn't be there in the first place. Just be careful not to remove the entry for a program that is actually installed, or the only way to fix the uninstaller will be to reinstall the program so that you can uninstall it.

3. david van meter

david van meter Thread Starter

thank you very much it worked on evetything but the program called silverlight, it said something about my having to prove that it was patch something or other, when I pressed Ok,, it just went away without further explanaiton. Again my thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Silverlight is Microsoft's answer to Adobe Flash. I don't know exactly where it is used at present, but it is a browser add-on that you may want to keep. In fact, looking for an update would be my suggestion, rather than removing it. If you do try to remove it, you may need to close all browser and explorer windows so it will not be "in use".

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!