1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add button to Win7 explorer toolbar

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nathan323, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan323

nathan323 Thread Starter

Howdy.
    I want to add a button that creates a new text document and put it next to the New Folder button in Windows 7, so that clicking it will give me the same result as right-clicking in the folder and choosing New>Text Document. Basically the exact same thing as the New Folder button, but New Text Document.

I have read this page: http://www.experts-exchange.com/art...Button-to-the-Windows-7-Explorer-Toolbar.html

and this page: http://winjade.net/2008/06/custom-explorer-buttons/

So ive got the button appearing, and i can get it to open the actual program Notepad, but not create a new text document inside the folder. I dont know if its just a variable i need to add onto the command line "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe", or its a different command altogether..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Nathan

2. raybro

raybro

Sounds to me like what you are doing is launching Notepad as a discreet operation thereby opening a blank document with no title. What you will need to do is save the document you create in that process to the folder you desire. Basically, no text document exists until you do that operation so it cannot be opened in any given location.

What you can do is create a blank "Format" document in Notepad, title it, save it to your folder, then right-click the document and select "pin to toolbar". Then when you want to create another Notepad document, click the toolbar icon, type in whatever you want and do a "Save As" operation thereby creating a new document with a different title from the "Format" document. That way the "Format" Notepad document will always be there.

My 2¢ worth... Raybro

3. nathan323

nathan323 Thread Starter

Hi thx for reply. Currently when im in any given folder, i often have cause to create a new notepad file in that folder. At the moment, i right click within the folder, go to New, go to Text document. What im tryin to do make a shortcut to this process - so i just have to click a button, and it will carry out the same command. Exactly like how there used to be no button to create New Folder, now there is, I want one to create New Text Document. Ive made the entries in the registry to get the button on the toolbar (after following the articles i mentioned), now i just want it to perform that New Text Document action.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice