1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add Contacts from Outook to Access database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Profgus, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Profgus

Profgus Thread Starter

I created a database in Access 2007. I am a relative newbe at this. One of the functions that I am using is a macro that Microsoft supplied as part of a Contacts table/form template to add Contacts from Outlook to the Contacts table in the the database. It was working just fine until I split the database, putting the tables on a server and the front end on my local PC. After splitting, it will no longer work. I have spent hours searching the Web and found 100's for people asking the same question, but no solution. Front and back end files are all in Trusted locations. Went back to a copy of the pre-split database (which still worked) and copy the object to the new split database. Would not work in the new database. . Saw some talk about using a temp Contacts table, but it did not give enough detail for me to follow.

Anyone have any ideas

Thanks

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

It sounds like you are losing the Link to the Outlook Contacts table.
    Does the table have an arrow next to it?
    Or does anything happen when you click the Link manager?
    The only other thing you can do is to Import the Outlook Contacts file rather linking to it, but it won't automatically update.

3. Profgus

Profgus Thread Starter

The Contacts table I would have to import would the the company email table, not my local Contacts. I don't know where I would find the table to import it. I have tried recreating the Contacts table from the Access 2007 templates but it only works when it is all together with the reset of the application objects, queries, reports Forms. Once I split it out to a server and link to it the look up no longer works.

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

If you put the whole database on the server can you link it?

5. Profgus

Profgus Thread Starter

If I do not split the database it works fine whether on my PC or the server. It isn't until I split it that the Contact look-up stops working. From what I've read so far it doesn't appear to work if you split the database. It is necessary for you to do a workaround. One post I read said to create a Temp Contacts table in the front end where the link works and then use code to move the append the contact info somehow to the linked Contacts table on the server. I can sort of see it but don't know how to pull it off. Any ideas on this approach?

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

If the linked table in the front end is used, you should be able to run an Append and Update Query to update a permanant table in the back end when the database is opened.
    I would just run the database un-split from the server. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!