1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add domain user as local admin

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Atomic Taco, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Atomic Taco

Atomic Taco Thread Starter

I've done this before on NT, but I don't remember how. I'd also like to do it in 2K/XP.

If I had to guess, it would be in NT's musrmgr, but it's not.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most accounts I visit have you boot locally when you want Admin rights for installations and the like.

3. Atomic Taco

Boot locally?

Maybe an example would help.

Computer named 'KITCHEN' is on the domain 'HOUSE.' Domain user 'Bob' is a member of Domain Users, but not Administrators or Domain Admins. Bob has a seperate account on the computer 'KITCHEN' but needs to login as 'Bob' for whatever reason.
    How would Bob add himself as an admin?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I believe only the domain Admin can do that.

5. Atomic Taco

So I should log on as a domain admin and add a user as an admin. I know in NT you can/could log on as some type of admin (don't remember if it was domain or local) and add users from a domain that you don't have access to as admins.
    I.E. You can be logged on locally to a computer and add the user 'Bill' from the domain 'CAR'
    How would I go about doing that?

6. Lightning

Lightning Guest

Just add the username HOUSE\BOB to the Administrators group on the computer. Now the domain account BOB has admin rights on the computer.

7. Atomic Taco

Thanks so much, I knew it was something really easy.

8. rasputinj

rasputinj

Right click "My Computer" click on manage. open up local users and groups, click on groups, Administrators then click add, you will need to be an admin to do this, and then scroll down to the domain you want, click on the user and provide you domain username/password if/when asked for

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/290662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice