1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add hardware wizard unavailable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Duster340, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well the wininit.ini crap is gone. Keep fingers crossed and see if you still get the same error.

2. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Still lists in event viewer and the hardware wizard says the same thing.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Damn I thought for sure that was going to do it.

There is another way to view the startup list. I'm not sure it will help any but I'd like to see it nonetheless.

Create a shortcut to the exe (just right click on it and select Sendto > Desktop as a shortcut.

Then Right click on the shortcut and in the target line add a space and /complete to the end of the line.

Then run it again and upload it as a text file attachment. It's really too long to include in a copy/paste.

4. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Lost me with that one. Once more with clarity.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Up to now you've been running the startuplist by clicking directly on the program executable itself. What I want you to do is create a shortcut to it. You do that by right clicking on the exe and selecting "SendTo > Desktop as Shortcut"

Then Right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties. You will see a "target" field with the path to the exe. After the end quote on that path add:

/complete

there should be a space in front of the forward slash.

Then ok and close the properties window and run the shortcut.

When it creates its file, you can click the "attachment" tab in your reply window here and browse to it to upload it.

6. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

That portion of the block is grayed out and you can insert or delete anything in the block. Understood it better that time, thanx for the clarity.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

By the way, when you open the Device Manager and look under hardware, do you see any exclamation points? Especially for the device that you installed? Have you tried uninstalling it?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See the attachment here.

Attached Files:

9. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Everything is OK in the device manager and I uninstalled all of the hardware from the first joystick before installing the new one. Also uninstalled the software.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

11. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Were you trying to get me to run the hardware wizard to the desktop or trying to see the start up file for the PC? If you wanted the startup for the computer I messed up. Let me know where to look and I'll try again. Sorry.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

C:\Downloaded Software\StartupList.EXE

It should be there, that's where you last ran it from. Make a shortcut to it as I said.

13. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

I downloaded the program you sent me to in my Downloaded Software folder. That way I could keep it for future use. Or are you talking about something else? Its getting late here maybe I'm not following you to well. Think I understand now let me try again.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Right, it's that program I want you to create a shortcut to using the method I described with the modified target field. Then upload the new text file as an attachment. Unfortunately I don't hold out a lot of hope for this providing any aha!'s but I'd just like to see it in that form

15. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Tried to do it but when you click ok it says the name specified is not valid Make sure the path and filename are correct.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice