1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add hardware wizard unavailable

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Duster340, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I agree with ROG. This is a mystery.

2. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Think I should call Alienware and see if it truly is running in Factory mode or is that out of the question now?

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It can't hurt if you have free tech support to call and try to get some help from them.

4. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

Their solution to everything so far has been to reinstall the OS. I emailed one the people that had a similar problem at the website Rog sent me to and she said she had to reinstall.
    I will try to get AW to let me talk to the Windows guy they have on site. Maybe he has a little more knowledge as far as this problem goes. Every one at their end so far has just been reading prompts off their troubleshooting screens. This evenings finds have given me some hope though. That link Mosaic found sure is promising. I hope. Thanx again. I will contact AW on Monday and post any further info after that phone call.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It did sound good. But it was a blind alley. It's something to ask about though. It's an ice breaker. I hope you get some help on this.

I wonder what would happen if you were to create a second Hardware Profile and disable the Joystick in it . Reboot into the new profile and try a hardware install? I think proboably the same problem. Installs are system wide and disabling a device is only just that. But it would only take a few minutes to find out.

I think I am reaching on that. If I find anything else, I'll post. Good luck.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, I'm still not seeing how that "factory mode" setting persists. It seems to be a switch under which sysprep was originally run when the clone was made. I thought there might be something in the:

OOBEINFO.INI

file, but all I discovered there was that my my Microsoft Product Key, which is not readable in the Registry and is different from the OEM ProductID is there and clearly readable. Hee, hee. So much for Microsoft trying to hide it. It didn't come with my Dell OEM Microsoft XP disk.

You might want to look in yours, you never know if OEM installs are going to ask for one or the other.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Just found this. No real help, but you are not alone.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=C...[email protected]&rnum=11

I attempt to run the new hardware wizard I am
    getting an error message that says:
    "Cannot run two device installations. You can only
    insall one device at a time. Another device install is
    underway. When it is finished you can try this wizard
    again".
    I am not trying to perform 2 installations simultaneously
    and rebooting etc doesn't clear the problem. I have
    added hardware before with no trouble and I can only
    think this error has something to do with the Sysprep or
    Factory Preinstallation utilities BECAUSE when I got my
    new PC (with XP installed) the Factory
    preinstallation/Sysprep screens would come up every time
    I booted the computer. Although the PC worked fine after
    I closed this (and things like hardware installation
    worked fine) it was annoying and added ages to the start
    up process. I couldn't contact the computer supplier so
    in the end I simply checked the "Do Not Flag" box in
    Sysprep (or Factory Pre..., not sure which) and they
    stopped coming up. Great, except that I now have
    problems with hardware installation. Could the 2 be
    connected? I don't know how (or want to) turn the
    Sysprep thing back on. Any advice gratefully received.

8. Duster340

Duster340 Thread Starter

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What's up Duster? In the last episode we left you considering whether to do a reinstall with the help of the Alienware tech guy. Anything happen there?

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you want to try something, you can have a look at this. Running Sysprep in audit mode, without doing the audit.and then resealing the windows installation.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/deploying/auditing.asp

From Symantec:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2000081610075225
    Maybe if the attached devices are redetected, the "install" will be completed.

You can find the files you need on the install CD.

\I__\SUPPORT\TOOLS\deploy.cab

Backup anything you don't want to lose first in the event this doesn't work out. I don't know what else to suggest. Everyone is telling you to do a reinstall. It's something to consider.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you do decide to try the Sysprep, be prepared to reinstall in the event that the Hardware Wizard causes a problem. It may. If not, I have been researching again and haven't found anything to help.

The only other thing I can think at the moment of is that the Hardware Wizard itself may be defective. A very long shot. But you might try replacing it just in case.

hdwwiz.cpl

12. DGilmour22

DGilmour22

Greetings,
    I know this thread is old, but I found a solution and am hoping that it will help others.

Under the Startup key, I deleted the "FactoryPreInstallInProgress"=dword:00000001

I also deleted the entire HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory key.

Once I completed these and rebooted, I was able to use the Hardware Wizard, the event entries did not show up, and in my case, the USB hard drive that I was attempting to use would mount using plug and play.

This error no longer appears: Event ID:270

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: PlugPlayManager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 270
    Date: 7/15/2004
    Time: 11:03:27 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SANDYK
    Description:
    Plug and Play user-interface dialogs have been suppressed in Factory Mode.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-Doug

13. geneaffcom

geneaffcom

Here's another fix for you.

Under HKLM/SYSTEM/Setup change the key "FactoryPreInstallInProgress" to 0

Reboot. The system log msg should have gone and hardware install will work properly.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!