1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add linksys router to lan

Discussion in 'Networking' started by virtualgeorg, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualgeorg

virtualgeorg Thread Starter

Sep 9, 2003
    I want to add a linksys wrt54g to an existing lan. One of the servers on the lan has an IP of but isn't that the default ip that the router will try to use?

When I plugged in the router but couldn't get to it with the browser, I also saw a conflicting ip error pop up on the server a few times so I assume that was a result of plugging in the router.

Should I connect the router to a pc on a different network or pc where where the default ip is not in use and then change the ip of the router and plug it back to the original network?

Also I saw in other posts that you should disable dhcp on the router?

I just want to add the router so I can access the internet on a wirelss laptop.

My current router uses, then that goes to a switch and I want to plug the 2nd router into the switch. If I set the 2nd to will that isolate it from the hard wired lan and allow me internet access?

2. StumpedTechy

Jul 7, 2004
    Plagerizing johnwills post that is on here VERY often :) -

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together. (or in this case adding a router onto a lan just to add wireless access)

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses through, I'd assign the secondary router as it's IP address. (you do this hooking up a PC to one of the the 4 ports and accessing the web interface)

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460830