1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add Memory to Notebook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WillyT, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WillyT

WillyT Thread Starter

Greetings to All:

I have a 5-year old notebook (Dell). It is still behaving well, but because it only has 64MB of RAM, there are some new applications that it will not run. Also, it takes forever to download some large files.

My questions are:

1) Is it even possible to add memory to a notebook PC?

2) If it is possible, would I see significant improvement, re running larger applications and/or faster downloads?

3) (Assuming that the answers to 1 & 2 are "yes"), How much memory should I add? 256? 512?

Thanking you very much in advance.

WillyT

2. Sponsor

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

1) Is it even possible to add memory to a notebook PC? Yes

2) If it is possible, would I see significant improvement, re running larger applications Yes

and/or faster downloads? No

3) (Assuming that the answers to 1 & 2 are "yes"), How much memory should I add? 256? 512?

You can use the memory configurator here to see how much and what kind of memory your Dell will handle . . the sweetspot for XP is 512MB . . 128 is usually enough for Win98 / ME ( pardon the language )

wrs

4. winbob

winbob

Willy,

If you want to get any meaningful answers to the 'can I' questions, you should either:

1. Contact DELL directly or;

2. Google the Model of your DELL to determine the Specs and limits of your PC.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

sorry my response was not "meaningfull"

6. winbob

winbob

simpswr,

My apologies...my response was not even directed at your response, but at the fact that he had not even stated what the heck the model of his 5 year old Lappy was. So how can we respond 'meaningfully' to questions about upgrading his PC???

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/316839