1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add Multiple Monitors to PC

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by BigDaddyG, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaddyG

BigDaddyG Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion g4 running Windows 8.

I have the capability to add 1 monitor

However I would like to add 1 more monitor, so iii have 3 active working at onetime.

What Hardware and Software do I need to do this? Thanks

2. geek117

geek117

The simplest solution would be to purchase a USB external video card. These can be had for under $40. Otherwise, you need a better internal video card with a power supply to support it (this can run you in upwards of $1000 if you're looking to game, etc, but a simpler solution should run you about $200 for both items).

I own one of these, and it's a solid unit.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually video cards that support three monitors are pretty cheap and don't necessarily need extra power. AMD Radeon HD's from the 4000 series and higher with a DisplayPort(convertible to other interfaces with adapters) can support three or monitor monitors.

But in this case that's not a option since this is a Pavilion G4 which is a laptop. The USB solution is the only unless you want the exact duplicate on two of the screens in which case a splitter would also work.

4. geek117

geek117

Yeah I didn't even bother looking up the model. I was just basing the cost of upgrading a desktop off of purchasing a newer video card from AMD or Nvidia (R7 250 / 260, or a GTX 750), and adding a power supply in case the factory power supply only provided an output of 250-300W. Just because the card doesn't require an additional power connector doesn't mean you have enough power to run the card (GTX 750 requires at least 400W PSU, typical OEM power supplies usually hover between 300-350W max). Also, I'm not sure why you would recommend a card that old as an upgrade (HD4650 also even requires a 350W PSU)...

Being that it is in fact a laptop however, I stand by my previous recommendation.

5. DVOM

DVOM

I have a Toshiba Satelllite and run two extra monitors. One runs off the VGA output and the other off the HDMI output. The monitors came with both cables so I didn't need anything else.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice