1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add ons problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mooselips, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooselips

mooselips Thread Starter

I am running I.E. 7, without any problems, until I downloaded Google chrome, (which I like) I am still using MSN as my email, and my home page. Which I want to do. I thought by adding Google Chrome, I was just updating the google toolbar. Anyway, to make a long story short, now it says I.E. is running without add ons. I look and it says they are all enabled.
    Help...what did I do, and how to fix it?

Thank you,
    Diane

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    "No Addons" is an option for running IE when there is a problem with one of your addons, which you can therefore use to remove the problem. I would suspect that you're clicking that shortcut rather than the standard IE shortcut. To check that IE is indeed working properly

Press Windows + R. Type or copy "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" into the box and press enter.

3. mooselips

mooselips Thread Starter

Okay, that takes me to my home page as I intended.
    Now how to make windows messenger come back along with that?
    Thank you, I'm having a stupid day.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I don't think I quite understand your question. You haven't mentioned a problem with Windows Messenger--where does that come into the equation?

Since you don't want to always use the Run box to access IE, follow these steps to fix the shortcut.
    Right click on the shortcut.
    Click Properties.
    Click the "Target" box and move to the end.
    Delete the "-extoff" from the end and click OK.
    Open the shortcut to test that it now works.

5. mooselips

mooselips Thread Starter

Okay, I think I have it now.
    The whole problem occurred b/c I thought I could just UPDATE my google toolbar to use chrome..not the case, which in turn messed up everything else when I downloaded Chrome.

Now I am using Chrome as my search engine, and that's what happened I believe the Chrome overruled the MSN search engine.

Thank you for you time.
    Diane

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice