1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add or Remove Programs Freezes XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MagnumJoe, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MagnumJoe

MagnumJoe Thread Starter

When i open add or remove programs, it opens, doesn't populate, and freezes XP for exactly 5 seconds then unfreezes for 10 seconds, and keeps doing that forever.

I have just repair reinstalled my XP SP2 Windows, and downloaded SP3 and all updates. However, this happens from before i make these updates.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It could be a corrupted entry. Are there any sections that look unusual when you scroll through the entries?

3. MagnumJoe

MagnumJoe Thread Starter

They don't populate :) No entries appear. It stays idle, with this freeze pattern.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may need to use a different uninstaller.

Free uninstallers that will replace the native Windows Add/Remove, and also allow removal of entries from programs that no longer exist:

Comodo Program Manager (Installations are monitored so they can be completely removed, restored if uninstalled by mistake, or even restored to a new machine - also manages drivers and services, and Windows Updates)
    ZSoft Uninstaller (Monitors new programs so they can be uninstalled completely, and removes remnants of programs after uninstallation, even if not monitored and already installed)
    Ashampoo Magical Uninstaller (Records changes made to system during new installations so they can be reversed)
    Revo Uninstaller (Removes remnants of uninstalled programs)
    MyUninstaller (Simple uninstaller that can remove entries left behind by uninstalled programs)

5. MagnumJoe

MagnumJoe Thread Starter

Wow, thanks Elvandil. I really appreciate it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055650