1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add/remove control panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rgray21, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rgray21

rgray21 Thread Starter

i try to remove the sims and warcraft 111 from my pc in add/remove programs in the control panel and i get a file can't be found message. what do i do to find the file and uninstall them.
    also i hooked an epson printer up once to see if it woked and i can't delete the icon where the installed printers show up. its no big deal since the printer isn't hooked up anyway but i prefer to see just the printer that is hooked up.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

in start/programs, do they have an uninstall function?

3. Dan O

Dan O

It not a Windows problem as the uninstaller is provided by the application provider. Try reinstall them and look for an uninstall option or look within the application menu options for an uninstall. If that fails a third party uninstaller may be needed, such as: http://www.innovative-sol.com/uninstaller/

As for removing the printer, checkout below:

REMOVING UNUSED DEVICE DRIVERS

Did you know that unless you uninstall a device driver on a Windows XP machine that it still may be sucking up valuable system resources? Here are step-by-step instructions on how you can view and remove these unnecessary devices.

The device is present—unless you specifically uninstall the driver. This means that drivers from devices that you have long since removed from your system may be wasting valuable system resources.

Follow these steps to view and remove these unnecessary device drivers:

Press [Windows]+[Break] to bring up the System Properties dialog box.
    Select the Advanced tab and click the Environment Variables button.
    Click the New button below the System Variables panel.
    In the New System Variable dialog box, type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name text box and 1 in the Variable Value text box.
    Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box and then click OK again.
    Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
    In Device Manager, go to View | Show Hidden Devices.
    Expand the various branches in the device tree and look for the washed out icons, which indicate unused device drivers.
    To remove an unused device driver, right-click the icon and select Uninstall.

4. rgray21

rgray21 Thread Starter

yes, all the programs are listed in win xp nd there's an uninstall function. when i click on it for warcraft 111 and the simpsons to uninstall i get a file can't be found messageand i can't uninstall.

as far as the printer icon, i did everything that dan o listed and it didn't work. nothing in device manager, hardware came up washed out.

5. jnibori

jnibori

Dan O,

Wanted to say thanks for that tip. Another learning experience. I have a couple of questions though.

Will the settings remain to do this again, even after a reboot?

**Most importantly** These questions:

It shows my two flash drives, and camera grayed out. I'm guessing it's due to the peripherals not being attached during the time of the scan (too lazy to dig them out and test it). True?

Finally, it shows many drivers, in several areas, which I really don't know what they are assigned to. As far as I know, drivers that were never used. (There are too many for the amount of harware that I've changed out) If I uninstall them, and later need them, <will> Windows automatically reload them- if they were a Windows generic driver?

Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/445667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice