1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ADD/Remove Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

I am getting an error message when I try to Uninstall many of the programs listed in Add/Remove. I'm running an Aptiva IBM Win 95. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Xico

2. BillC

BillC

What do the error messages say? I'm not sure that will tell me anything, but it might help someone to understand your problem.

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

AN ERROR OCCURED WHILE TRYING TO REMOVE ADOBE ACROBAT READER 3.0

Uninstallation has been canceled.

Not very helpful is it?

4. BillC

BillC

Alas, I'm not well versed in uninstall errors. I do know that there are uninstall utilities that might help. I've never used by understand that Smart Uninstaller found here is a good one and free too.

There is probably a simplier solution, but I don't know it. :)

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I downloaded it, now I have to burn it to CD to put it into the IBM--but this sounds like a good start. The IBM is really a learning puter. All sorts of little problems. Thanks again, Bill.

Xico :D

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, thanks Candy. I just got Smart Installer running. The Uninstall Tab is Xd out, so I clicked Remove and a message comes up that says You are about to remove a registry key. Continue?

I have not continued yet. But I have Acrobat 5.0 on here, plus the 3.0.
    I'm trying to get rid of 3. Should I remove the registry key?

8. ~Candy~

Two versions normally conflict.....backup the registry prior to removing just in case, but you may have to uninstall 5 too, then reinstall.

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, thank you Candy. :D

10. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Candy and Bill! There seems to be another problem in the Add/Remove Program. It's not just the Adobe that I can not uninstall. There's a number of programs I can't uninstall, and they won't uninsta;; with Smart Uninstaller either. I was going to remove the registry key for Adobe, but that isn't going to remove the program. I need to get rid of access baggage on this Beast, and, for whatever reason, it won't let me get rid of these programs in Add/Remove.

I am able to use Windows Explorer to delete some of these programs, but still something is preventing the Add/Remove from working properly. Could it be the old setting of Instand and Uninstall Shield--that I deleted thru Explorer?

11. ~Candy~

FORMAT C: :D :D :D

12. xico

xico Thread Starter

That's what it looks like I'm going to have to do. But IM trying to get this screensaver, Scrappy, transferred to my 98, so I don't lose it. I'm not having any success at that either. Oh, well, looks like I'll go have a beer. Thanks Candy. :D :D :D

13. Deke40

Deke40

Xico-You can uninstall by going to the registry, HKey_Local_MaChine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Somtimes these are just the GUID so you may need to open them up. Look for the key "uninstallString" this will contain somthing like
    C:\WINNT\IsUninst.exe -f"D:\Program Files\InstallShield\InstallShield 5.5 Professional Edition\Uninst.isu"
    Copy this and paste in the Run under your start menu. and press ok, it will run the uninstall. The items in your ADD/Remove Programs are in the registry and just point to these Reg Paths.

Attached Files:

14. xico

xico Thread Starter

THANK YOU, Deke. Sorry, didn't mean to yell it, but. yes. thank you! :D
    Much, much appreciated.

15. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Deke!

I've gotten to the UninstallString "C:\WINDOWS\uninst.exe-f"C:\Program Files ...

But when I right click, there is no Copy. I'm getting Modify, Delete, and Rename. Under Registry on the Menu? Bar, however, I get Import and Export Registry as well as Connect Network Registry. Can I use Export Registry? Or I could also "copy" manually. Any further suggestions? Thank you. I really appreciate this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice