add/remove program missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jotho

Hello all...
It's been quite awhile so i'm not sure really, but i believe the figure was 100 dollars. I could be wrong, but that's what comes into my head.
thanks for everyone's concern...
jotho

$100.00 are you serious? Better march no run back to the shop and demand your CD and product key code. Sometime in the future you'll need both. The Key code will be on the manual they give you.
Your product key can be found here

A. The installation key is stored in the Windows 98 registry and can be checked as follows:
Start the registry editor (regedit.exe)
Move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Double click the ProductKey name and copy
Click OK
Close the registry editor
Write it down

Who wants to bet that this guy didn't install all the .cab files either??

No CD, no .cab files.....can you say repeat business?

Yep sure sounds like a copy to me. I wonder who M$ would be interested in talking to? The customer or the repair shop, the shop I'll bet.

jotho

Jeez...you guys are scaring me now!
He gave me a floppy start-up, but def. no CD, but i have to say, it's been at least a year since this was done (they might not even be in business anymore)...wouldn't some of these cab. file problems (like i know what these files do...) have caused problems by now? How can i check to make sure i got all that i shouldv'e gotten, program and file-wise?

Use the Find command and search for Win98_*.cab.
IF found, you should have about 55 of tiem in the C:\windows\options\cabs folder.

Hmmmm, let me think about this....IF I buy one Windows98SE upgrad CD at about $100, and install it on 50 PC's at $100 a pop, that's about a $4900 profit.

Assume 1 hour max for each upgrade (no Fdisk, no format, just an upgrade), that's about $98/hr not too bad.

Now you wonder why software costs so much.

jotho

Hi NiteHawk...
did as you said and there were 54 cab files marked 98SE, so i guess i'm ok there...but your point about unlimited upgrades off the same disc is something i never even thought of, much to my dismay. It is definitely a shady practice, and it should have rang a bell when i gave it the okay...but it didn't. Do you think that practice, at least among small repair shops, is the norm rather than the exception?

All I can say is, I certainly hope not!!
90+% of the repair shops are ethical. But you always have some one wanting to turn a fast buck!!

If some one brings me a PC to upgrade or do a clean install of an OS, one of two things happen. Either they provide the CD and key code, or I buy the CD and do the work and they walk out with an upgraded PC AND the CD. But if they have to buy the CD as part of the upgrade/install, they are going to pay more than $100 in the end.

Originally posted by NiteHawk:
Hmmmm, let me think about this....IF I buy one Windows98SE upgrad CD at about $100, and install it on 50 PC's at $100 a pop, that's about a $4900 profit.

Assume 1 hour max for each upgrade (no Fdisk, no format, just an upgrade), that's about $98/hr not too bad.

Now you wonder why software costs so much.
Yep, this "techie" sounds like a right chancer. Poor old jotho's
been stung by this fly-by-night. :mad:

Still, good work if you can get it... :D ;)

James H

This thread has been viewed 160 times, I wonder if anyone from Redmond is in that count. Sure hope so and would love to see jotho given a legit CD from M$ and for M$ to come down hard on the shop that stoled $100.00 and an OS from someone that did nothing more than ask for help.
Opera7.2

jotho

Well, all i can say, again, is thank you everyone...for solving my problem and also alerting me as to the shady nature of what happened regarding the win98 upgrade. I'll try to approach these things 'eyes open' next time.
Great forum....jotho

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online