Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager aren't working...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ZorlinStarre

I'm trying to blame Easy Cleaner for this. I made a registry backup and Easy Cleaner made a backup itself before I told it to clean my registry. It scanned and removed a lot of registry entries (The number was staggering.)

I rebooted later, and suddenly noticed that my logon had changed. Instead of the Windows XP style (You know, display of names to the right, click one enter password etc) I was back to the old Windows gray floating box with username and password entries. I didn't like it. So I went in and used my registry backup, restarted, and it was still the gray floating box. I went in, and used Easy Cleaner's backup, and still the gray floating box. So I got miffed and tried to go uninstall Easy Cleaner... And I couldn't access my Add/Remove Programs. :\ But naturally, I could still access it through Easy Cleaner itself, so I used Easy Cleaner to uninstall itself. >_>

So for about a week now I have been unable to get to Add/Remove Programs, and I just today found out that the Device Manager under My Computer - Properties isn't working either.

The same thing happens with them both. The computer is busy for a second, like it's trying to load them... And then nothing opens.

ZorlinStarre

And yes, I tried just re-enabling the welcome screen, it doesn't work. Welcome Screen is enabled, Fast User Switching is enabled - I still get windows classic logon. And sorry for the double post but this was three pages back and I really need help...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online