1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add/Remove programs does not show whole list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wildfire563, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wildfire563

Wildfire563 Thread Starter

I am using a Dell D800 laptop with XP-Pro/SP2. When I go to Add/Remove programs, it does not show the whole list of programs that have been installed. The list that it does show changes depending on what sort filter I am using. The sort filter "Frequency of Use" shows the most programs. Name shows what looks like all the programs up through the letter A. Sort by size only shows 4 programs.

When I searched I found an MS document that suggested running the following command under start/run:
    rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt

The first time I ran it, it said it could not find setupwbv.dll. So I downloaded a version from ?. When I ran the program again, I got the following error:
    Error in setupwbv.dll
    Missing entry:IE6:Maintenance

So I downloaded setupwbv2.dll, which was actually just another version of the above program. I still get the same error.

Is there any way to restore the Add/Remove list, other than by using a system restore? There are a whole bunch of entries under HKLM\Software\MS\Win\CV\Uninstall, so I think all of the information is there. For some reason, though, it's not being displayed. I looked for entries in the list with blank subkeys, but there were not any.

Thanks,

THomas

2. Haritvpmin

Haritvpmin

The uninstall Key has more entries than is actually listed under Add/remove list, but they are not all for our use. If Add/remove programs is not showing it, then you should not try to use them and mess with it.

You can try and look through the values of these keys, and find out what they refer to, and delete them manually (by deleting program's folder).

regards
    Hari
    Windows Cleaner - Registry Cleaner and History Eraser

3. Wildfire563

Wildfire563 Thread Starter

Perhaps my message wasn't clear. I have installed a few dozen programs. The listing in Add/Remove programs is incomplete. Depending on what sort view I use, the list contains between 4 to 25 or so programs. No view shows all the programs that it used to list.

What I am wondering is how do I fix the Add/Remove programs listing.

4. hewee

hewee

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272957

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice