1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aniani, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

When I click on the Add/Remove Programs in my Control Panel the message "Please Wait while the list is being populated" appears but the list is never generated. I need to remove some programs. Do you have any suggestions?

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

try unchecking windows updates box and see if thathelps

3. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried it but that did not work, are there any other ideas?

4. otzi

otzi

CCleaner <= you can use it .

5. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

Thanks Otzi, I downloaded the cleaner and cleaned house, logged off, restarted and I the same message appears. I've even walked away for 10 minutes and no list of programs is generated. It just says, "Please wait while list is being populated". Is it possible that IE7 might have something to do with it?

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you tried in safe mode

Ie7 can cause problems

try a system restore to before you installed ie7

Using CC Cleaner use the add remove utility in there to remove unwanted programs

and also try start run

sfc /scannow to check all system files are ok

7. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

Maybe I don't qualify for the intermediate user status!! It would take me hours to research how to use safe mode and how to do a system restore to before I installed IE7. Are there maybe 5 or more easy steps I can do, or 5 easy steps directing me to the research of how to do it? Thank you for my Sunday morning lessons.

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I am sorry .. my fault entirely :eek: :eek:

Lets try IE7 to see if it is the cause

using cccleaner and the
    tools try to uninstall ie7 and it will go back to ie6

Make a restore point first

help and support
    pick a task undo changes with system restore create a restore point

you can also use ccleaner instead of add remove programs to uninstall

9. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

Yeah! I got rid of IE7 and am back with IE6. However, it did not help me access the Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel. Same problem as before. But thanks to your help, I was able to remove other programs using ccleaner. I guess I could continue removing programs I don't use this way, but it still bothers me why I cannot access them via the Control Panel.

If you or anyone else thinks this is something I need to worry about, let me know, and I will keep plugging away. Otherwise you have helped me get back to IE6 which was what I was wanting to do when I found the Add/Remove Programs File problem.

Thank you very much.

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Please keep checking back here .. any new info i come across i will post for you

Did you run sfc /scannow ???

you will need the windows disc
    might be worth a try doesnt take long . if it finds any errors it will copy them from your disc

11. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Try start/run and enter 'regsvr32 appwiz.cpl' (without the quote marks and the space after the 2).
    Then click OK .

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. aniani

aniani Thread Starter

I've tried the sfc/scannow as well as the regsvr32 appwiz.cpl and nothing has helped. Reading about them sounds like they apply more to not being able to access the add/remove icon. I have that just fine, the problem is it won't populate. At this point the repair is scarey for me to do. I may not be advanced enough, but will talk with my IT friends tomorrow and see if they can help me. Any other thoughts are still welcome.

Thanks again

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

The repair will simply replace whatever is missing..it will also remove any added Windows Service packs and some newer Windows Updates, so you just put them back, but it will not affect anything else.

15. valis

valis Moderator

Rich, be nice now.....this is a co-worker of mine with ties to 'da boss'.....:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice