1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add/remove

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by topman1, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topman1

topman1 Thread Starter

Hi everybody/

Can anyone tell me if a thread regarding my problem is available; or if not , any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a number of progs I am trying to remove using add/remove but when I click the prompt the uninstaller screen appears briefly and the green scroll bar starts and then a quick flash and it all disappears and the progs are still there and it resets yo yhe add/remove screen.

There are also NO uninstall folders with the progs.

System is XP PRO

REGARDS

DAVE K

2. Dan O

Dan O

Dave,

It a common problem, which is caused by a missing or damaged uninstall component. The uninstall is actually provided by the vendor who created the product, which does not always work either.

Now, how to fix the problem? The first thing to try is using the Setup for the product as some include an uninstall option or reinstall the product, which will replace missing or damged files and then the uninstall may work. If neither of these work you must manually remove the application, which is not always easy as most place files and Windows Registry entries everywhere. You can check the property of the icon used to invoke the application to determine where it files are located. You do it by right clicking the icon and selecting Property. Before you proceed you should create a Restore point so you can recover if things go badly. Next go to the folder using My Computer or WIndows Explorer and delete it, which will delete the sub-folders and files. Cleaning up the Windows Registry is tricky and can be dangerous. Run RegEdit and use the Search option using the product name and delete any entries found. Finally use Windows Tweak UI to delete the application from the Add/Remove Application list, which you can download from Microsoft if you don't have it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out or need some more assistance with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice