Add vista computer to xp network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jeff Keene

I have an existing network with a pc (windows xp) and a laptop (wireless connection windows xp). It is a Belkin router. The vista computer connects to the internet, but will not connect or even ping the other components (Xerox printer) on the network.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Some of us do!
Have you turned on the file and printer sharing?

Jeff Keene

everything is on except media sharing
earlier it would ping the other components but now it will not unless I hook an ethernet cable directly to the router

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check the firewall(s) on the other machines as they may be blocking the Vista machine.

Jeff Keene

can't get that far. the network workgroup the other computers are on doesn't show up on vista and i don't have an option to add it. Even though i did install the network with a flash drive to the vista computer

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Jeff Keene said:
can't get that far. the network workgroup the other computers are on doesn't show up on vista and i don't have an option to add it. Even though i did install the network with a flash drive to the vista computer
There is NO need in using any wizard.
Have you tried "Right clicking " the network Icon in the systray and selecting Network and Sharing Center?
On the right side is a "Customize", select it. Now you can change the network name.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online