Add wireless laptp to wired network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

K6BON

Just a little over a month ago we networked 3 computers using an Intelinet Wireless Router, which is also an AP. At the time we had no intention of using a laptop. However, my husband just got a good deal on a Dell C600 wireless. It is on the way from Texas. I believe there is a way to network this laptop with our existing wired network. Can someone tell me what is involved in doing this? A friend helped us configure the router and we are very new with this, so if you could keep it just as simple as possible I would appreciate it. Thanks.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have a wireless router, it's simply a matter of configuring it. When you get the machine, we'll lead you through it.

bearone2

Banned
JohnWill said:
If you have a wireless router, it's simply a matter of configuring it. When you get the machine, we'll lead you through it.
this one

K6BON

I should probably mention that we are hooked up to Wild Blue Satellite Internet and they configured the router with an IP address.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It doesn't matter what you're connected on the WAN side of the router, since we'll be using the LAN addresses on the other side of the router's NAT layer. :)

bearone2

Banned
could a wireless router running like the wap, thru 1/4 ports from the wired router, be used the same way without any setup.

the present wap/ laptop cards are 11b but i have a linksys 54g wireless router that i don't want to totally commit to running both wired/wireless from.

i'd like to use it as a pass thru device, like the wap, for the laptops and upgrade to the faster cards.:cool:

K6BON

<If you have a wireless router, it's simply a matter of configuring it. When you get the machine, we'll lead you through it.>

Just wanted to let you know that we will be getting the laptop by UPS on Tuesday morning. Do you have any questions regarding this?

K6BON

I have not yet heard back from John. If he is unavailable, would someone else be willing to help us set up our laptop when we are ready?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What is the make/model of the wireless router?

Do you actually have the machine you're going to connect?

K6BON

I didn't get an e-mail notification that you had answered my post. The router is the following:

Intellinet Wlan Router W/4pt 10/100 Switch, 523233

Yes, we received the laptop yesterday and have been setting it up with Outlook Express and Firefox. We swapped connections with another computer to get online and do some downloading.

K6BON

I was fretting for nothing. Put the wireless card in the slot and we were good to go. Thanks for your offer of help. Will come back again sometime if we have any problems.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Na..na.. I told you do. :D

Now, your mission is to enable encryption on the wireless link so your neighbors won't be sharing your wireless connection. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online