1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add wireless router to network w/static ip

Discussion in 'Networking' started by flameboy1974, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flameboy1974

flameboy1974 Thread Starter

We have a T1 line coming in to our business. I want to add a wireless router to the network. I can add the router and use the ethernet ports to run internet fine. I can not figure out how to set up the wireless. Can I set the router to use a specific ip on the network (like on of the pcs) and have the wireless just hand out ip addresses for its own use? Or do I need to add each one manually? Last thing is our T1 line router uses static ip addresses, gateway, dns, ect...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do you want the people on the wireless machines to be able to access the rest of the network? If so, your best bet is a wireless access point, not a router. You can also configure a router as a WAP for this application in that case. The configuration of the secondary router is the same as connecting it to another SOHO router, using my often posted instructions.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

3. flameboy1974

Ok i got internet through the Ethernet lan card from the wireless router. Now this is my problem with the wireless. Every pc using our internet must have an assigned ip address within the system. I dont want to assign an ip address to the wireless adaptor because i use it with other wireless networks. Is there a way to have the router use a specific ip address (like another computer) and assign it own ip addresses to wireless client, but it would still use the assigned ip to access the internet? Or maybe I am trying to do something that cant be done.
    Thanks for your help John.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Did you configure the wireless router per John's procedure? If so, my suggestion is to assign static IP addresses to the wireless adapters--on the Alternate Configuration tab. That way the wireless adapter will get a dynamic configuration when a Dhcp server is on the network, but will use the (alternate) static configuration on your business network.

5. flameboy1974

Thats just what i was looking for! I knew i was missing something somewhere.
    As always thanks for all your help guys,
    Your the greatest!

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Next time help with the dishes and donate the beer money to TechGuy. :)

Glad we could help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574772