1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Add workgroup with MSFT Wireless Base Station MN-700?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ej, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ej

ej Thread Starter

Hi, does anybody know if I'm able to add another workgroup (I wish to move my wireless router to my daughters home occasionally to use her cable internet on wifi) with my MSFT wireless base station mn-700? I do no want to modify my home network settings to do this. thanks! :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Isn't the MSFT wireless base station mn-700 just what we usually call a wireless router? Does it actually have some kind of workgroup setting (I admit to being too lazy to look for a User Guide)?

3. ej

ej Thread Starter

heres the specs...
    Device Type: Access Point
    Router
    Switch
    Features: DHCP Client Functionality
    Integrated Antenna
    Integrated Firewall
    NAT
    Number of Ports: 4
    Port Types: Ethernet - RJ-45
    Speeds Supported: 54 Mbps
    Network Architecture Supported: Wireless Ethernet - 11 Mbps IEEE802.11b
    Wireless Ethernet - 54 Mbps IEEE802.11g

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't see any mention of "workgroup" in those specs. :)

5. ej

ej Thread Starter

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, what about your original question "add another workgroup"? There's no first workgroup, right? What do you really want to know or do?

7. ej

ej Thread Starter

Yes, I have aa existing work group now at my home. I just want to be able to take the router to another house and hook it up without changing all my home network settings.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Workgroup" is a Windows feature on top of a network. For Windows computers on a network (same subnet) it allows you to use My Network Places and View Workgroup Computers. It has nothing to do with any router.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The MN-700 is just a wireless router, and taking it out and bringing it back shouldn't change your workgroup settings.

10. ej

ej Thread Starter

I see, so all I have to do is install the router software on her pc with the same settings, passwords and network name as on my home laptop, connect my router to her cable modem and I'm good to go? (y)

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The router software is, by definition, on the router. You cannot install it on a PC.

If you both have a "dynamic" connection to your respective ISPs you should be able to,
    1. unplug the modem,
    2. connect the modem to router's WAN port,
    3. (optionally) connect PC to router LAN port,
    4. plug in modem, then plug in router, then boot or restart PC,
    5. (optionally) connect PC via wireless.

Of course, if you have different ISP connection requirements, you will need to make the appropriate changes to the router's settings.

12. ej

ej Thread Starter

We're both on Charter, I already tried just unplugging her pc and plugging the router into her modem, my laptop didn't see it, however I don't remember if i rebooted or not, I'll give it another try, thanks!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/463619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice