1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

add xp to vista bootloader

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bballpaulwall, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bballpaulwall

bballpaulwall Thread Starter

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed on my Compaq laptop. I wanted to dual boot with XP so I partitioned off 40gb and installed XP onto that. Afterwards of course my Vista bootloader was wiped out. Using a Vista Recovery CD I was able to recover the bootloader and load into vista, but this wiped out my boot.ini and I can no longer get into XP. I have used bcedit in the past when dual booting a Windows 7 machine so I am somewhat familiar with it. When I use the command bcdedit /enum, the XP partition is not listed, so I cannot add it to the boot menu.
    I also tried rebuilding the bootcfg through the XP recovery
    All I want to do is have the menu to choose from either Vista or XP. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't understand how repairing Vista had any effect on your boot.ini on a separate partition without affecting any other files there. Do you have anything else unusual about your setup?

Of course, XP would not be listed in the BCD. If it were, you would not need to add it as a boot option because it would be there already.

Try EasyBCD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/894800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice