1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added 512mb Ram,No real gain?-98se

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deanr, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deanr

deanr Thread Starter

Hey Y`aLL ! I`ve done a series of tweaks in registry/system ini/bios + other areas at the time when my puter had 320mb physical ram. I have installed 512mb ram with a "total" of "768mb PHYSICAL RAM " at this present time ! Now having said that my question to you knowledgable people is there settings, tweaks or adjustments that i need to change or set for the increase in PHYSICAL Ram? Any hints or tips would be great !!! Thanx Dean :) P.S. Info - Win98se,IE6,AMIBIOS + have TWEAKED this Computer to the MAX for gaming . :)

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

3. slipe

slipe

I don’t agree at all. Win98 is currently rated by M$ for up to a Gig of RAM and it can use it effectively. They had said in the past it was good for 1.5Gig but encountered problems over a Gig. Win9x/ME has resource problems but uses RAM just as effectively as Win2k and XP up to the amount it can handle.

Of course at the rate it is decreasing they could be down to 768, but I know several people with 768 in Win98 machines that have never had problems. Jtoast’s link is only two months newer than this one that says a Gig is fine: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943 But I know 768 is OK.

You might as well limit your max vcache to 512Mb to avoid the possibility of an out of memory message. People with 768Mb on Win98 have not limited the vcache and never run into problems. It is hard to get the cache over 512Mb unless you leave the computer on 24/7 and never put heavy RAM loads on the computer. A session in Photoshop will dump the cache if you work with large files and have things like your history based on the available RAM. But it doesn’t degrade performance to just limit the max vcache – 512mb is plenty.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

Rereading what I posted I gave the wrong impression.

Actually I have ran windows 98 with over 512 myself with no problems, but then I saw no real benefit in either benchmarks or performance once I got past 512 either.

I was simply trying to say that in my opinion it is better to load an os that will make better use of the RAM to avoid POTENTIAL problems.

5. slipe

slipe

You won’t see improvements in benchmarks at all. Unless you are doing some heavy graphics or video editing it is a waste of money to get that much RAM. The only people who see improvements over 256 are those who actually have need for the RAM.

That being said I use every bit of my 512Mb with Photoshop and would have 768 in my Win98SE machine if the motherboard would take it. Most people don’t have problems with 768Mb with Win98. It is a good idea to limit the vcache as you suggested.

I’m about to build a new computer and will put a Gig of DDR400 on it, but I’ll load XP Pro.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The three main systems here have 512mb of RAM, simply because I've never seen any benefit to having more. I do some graphics work, but nothing that would tax them. I prefer to have ECC memory in all my machines, and spend any leftover upgrade cash on something that will make more of a difference. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice