1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added a graphix card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mrcobra, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Just installed a new graphics card and I am wanting to know if I have to go into the bios to disable anything ? Someone told me that I need to disable the old card so I can get back what ram it was using.

this new card apparently has 256 of it's own ram. I assume that it is working ok because my wife has told me that it has made a world of difference in her sims game when she plats it.

thanks

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You can check the bios to see if you need to disable it, or you can just go to system information and see if all your ram is now allocated to windows.

If you go into the bios depending on the board it will be somewhere in advanced and listed under onboard or under the pci/agp.

I think since you booted into windows without any issues you are fine but it would be nice to look in sys info just to make sure it released all the ram to windows.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

When I go into system it say 248mb ram....My computer came with 256 so apparently the old card is still using 8mb of my ram. The computer is a compaq and I do nto know how to get this into the bios.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I did it with an HP but it has been a long time ago. It is somewhere in the bios but darned if I can remember exactly where. I can only suggest going in and looking around for it. That is how I found it.

I am remembering a little, but I am thinking it is all the way to the left, the last tab and hit enter. Now this bios might be 180 out of the one I had. Just poke around, you'll find it. Sorry I can't tell you exactly where it is. As long as that is the only change you make you will be fine.

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Anyone know how to get to the bios in a compaq ?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

F2 usually.

7. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Would this new card give me my current problem of my mouse going off the screen not only to the right but off of the bottom as well ?

My wife cannot play sims properely as she needs to use the rolling screen to the right and the mouse dissappears, both to the right and off the bottom.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Maybe you need to resize your monitor display but that is all I can think of.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!