1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added ones Windows 2003 Server want to remove old 2003 server.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StumpedTechy, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Okay what are the steps needed to make the new Windows 2003 server take over all roles that the old 2003 server had? Here is the scenario. I have 1 2003 server this was really only a glorified desktop but it served its purpose. It was the only Server on the domain in a single domain/single site scenario. I now have had a second 2003 server built And I have it added into the domain. I setup all the same functions DNS Server, Domain Controller - Active Directory, File server and print server.

With Server 1 turned off and Server 2's IP changed to the IP of Server 1 the clients are pulling DNS from the PC's in the domain do work fine I.E. log in fine authenticate have full control over the shares they should, have internet browing.

The problem is that Server 2 (only when Server 1 is turned off) is not able to populate all the active directory objects (I mean it shows the item but it is greyed out and gives some errors about a Global Catalog Server not being available). Why am I geting this if both PC's are setup as Active Directory domain controllers?

Please explain this and let me know what else I have to ensure to do before pulling off this original Windows 2003 server so far I have the following done -

Shares from Server 1 recreated on Server 2 - Check
    Server 2 is now configured as the DNS Server and functioning just fine - Check
    Server 2 has print ques recreated and everyone is printed to it just fine -check
    Server 2 is showing all the AD items from Server 1 - Check (except for errors of GC Server)

Also if you know of any other problems I may have in pulling out Server 1 feel free to let me know. Thanks

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

This sounds tricky alright. I did the MCSE exams on AD and Windows 2000 server etc, from what I can remember there is only one Global Catalog server in the network. So I assume that when you set up the first server it assumed this role for the network. BUT when you add the second server this finds that there is already a Global Catalog server and does not assume this role itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...03/all/techref/en-us/W2K3TR_Ad_dctrl_over.asp

"The first domain controller in a forest is automatically created as a global catalog server. Thereafter, you can designate other domain controllers to be global catalog servers if they are needed."

I would try to promote your 2nd server to a Global Catlog server and see if this resolves the issues.

regards,
    J

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Woohooo think I found it -

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4614.htm#2

I was actually enabling the group catalog of the site not going to the individual server in the sites and trusts group. once I found the properties of the computername of Server 2 I saw the check for Enabling the Global catalog.

I enabled it and will wait a day to remove the old server to ensure replication to this new server.

Any other thoughts on issues I might have before pulling number 1 off? The nice thing is I don't have this PC going anywhere so I can just turn it back on if anyone sees a problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/314334

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice