1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added Ram but still computer takes forever to restart

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpsolutions?, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpsolutions?

xpsolutions? Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an Amd Duron 1 Ghz with 248mb Ram.
    Today I formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows Xp.
    This computer takes forever to restart. It takes a while waiting for windows Xp to load
    I also bought a 248mb Ram chip to ugrade the memory to 512 but still that didnt help a bit.
    Also, even after installing the second ram chip, Memory displayed in Control panel-System is still the same 248MB.

what can I do to resolve this and make it load windows Xp faster ?. Mind that this is a fresh Windows Xp install and No other programs have been installed yet.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Does this system have onboard video? Wondering about the 248Mb Ram issue. I had a similar problem with a hard drive. Would take a long time to load and when starting programs it would take a long time also. Reinstalled windows and everything it was still the same. Installed a new Hard drive and it fixed the problem. Original hard drive was a 60 gig maxtor.

3. norton850

norton850

Just to check the RAM issue. How much RAM is listed in BIOS or when you turn the system on?

4. Compiler

Compiler

If you added a 2nd RAM module and it still says 248mb free - then what you added is either defective or incompatible with your computer...

WinXp likes a bit more powerful CPU than a duron 1Ghz... but should be okay with 512mb once you get it working.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree you need to start running some diagnostic apps. Start with a hd check. This is downloaded from whoever made your disk; ie maxtor, seagate, WD, etc. Next you need to sort out the ram problem. I have never seen a 248meg chip. You probably have onboard video with 16meg allocated to video. When you added another ram chip, you should see the new ram.

Post your exact specs and the specs of the ram you added. Include links to your parts if possible.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah as everyone suggests, your ram is most likely incompatible and that is assuming it is fully inserted in the ram slot.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice