1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added Ram causing havoc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by melonhead, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Iadded just 100 Ram to one of my clients computers. OS ME.

After installation I thought the thing had something wrong with registery, etc. since they had earlier problems. Computer would crash when tried to run AVG or adaware. Could'nt run diagnoistsic from online.

After spending multiple hours and another thread regarding viruses, took out the RAM just to see what would happen and it runAVG fine.

Right now they only have 63 RAM on computer. I have installed numeroustimes on other computers with such ease. Do you have any suggestions on what I could maybe do to Add? Any change in the BIOS are something?
    Pentinum III processor.
    Thanks.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Could be the new and old ram are not compatible together.

Have you tried taking out the old ram and just using the new one?

3. warniahs

warniahs

What is the speed of both the RAM chips?

Sometimes diffrent speed RAM chips do not work together.

Just a thought:
    Ram comes in 100MB sticks?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure you need PC100 RAM? PIII come in 100 and 133Mhz FSB versions, you may need to get PC133 RAM. Is the computer a brand name by chance? If so what the make/model? Or what motherboard does it use with what CPU?

5. raybro

raybro

Click Here to go to Crucial. There is tool there that will tell you what RAM you need. Input either the make and model of the computer or mobo and it will give you your alternatives

6. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I coudn't remember the exact amount of added Ram so just put down 100 since I knew that was close. It was actually 128 mb. The original RAM was 64 and was toshiba. The computer isa dell. Here is what happened after I did the initial pos.

I took out the new ram and it worked beautifully! However, they still only had 64 ram, so I took out the originAL RAM and put in the new ram. The computer wouuldn't even turn on. Then I switched places putting the new Ram and the old Ram still wouldn't turn on. Put them both back in where I had the original problem and windows opened but with the same problems as before. So I put the 64 ram back in, called the client and she is going to get a new ram piece. I just think that the Ram she bought was somehow corrupted. Their machine should be able to handle the additional ram as it is a Pentium 3 and they only had purchased an additional 128. Anyway I'm going o to your site and verify that..thanks for the input. I certainly learned something today!! Considering I spent all this time on it that I will never charge her for! I just couldn't stop fixing it because I couldn't let that computer beat me!!

This is just the most awesome site. I know I could never do what I do with the input and help I get from other members. Thanks again!

Margie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice