1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Added second solid state drive to laptop but can't access it

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by andycharlott, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andycharlott

andycharlott Thread Starter

Hi I've added a second solid state drive to laptop but can't access it to add files to it. I bought the same SSD as the one already in the lapotp so I would have thought it would be compatible. But in disk management it won't let me change drive letter and path, or convert to dynamic disk or format. I have added a photo from disk management, it is disk 2. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
    kind regards
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. DRPC

DRPC

Was this a used SSD or had you previously created the two partitions there? New SSDs do not come with two partitions already on them.

The screenshot shows you right clicked on the EFI partition on Disk 2. Disk Management doesn't let you add a drive letter or format an EFI or other system partitions, you would have to do that using diskpart, but should not need/want to.

Right click on the 2nd partition on Disk 2 (the 238.15 GB one), you should be able to give that one a drive letter and/or re-format it. If not, see below.

Why the EFI partition? Are you trying to boot to another OS on this drive or something? Or did the drive come to you this way? EFI partitions are only used for booting, AFAIK. Seems you want this drive to be for additional storage, as such it won't be booted (Disk 1 will, and it has it's own EFI partition) so an EFI partition is not needed on Disk 2. That said it is only 200 MB out of 250GB, so leave it if you don't care, and just use the 2nd partition.

But if you do want to start over with this drive, or if you still can't access the 2nd partition for some reason then the following will get rid of both partitions on this drive, and reset it such that you can access it. Note this assumes you aren't booted to that EFI partition currently, and need nothing on either partition. Open Command Prompt as an admin (type cmd in search bar, right click result, select Run as Administrator). In command prompt, type:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 2

The next command will erase all partitions on disk 2 and erase ALL DATA on them. Verify disk 2 is the disk you want to erase by looking at the list of disks there, then type:

clean

You can exit diskpart and command prompt now, and go back to Disk Management. You should be able to create the partitions'volumes you want, format them, and assign drive letters.

andycharlott likes this.
  3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I don't think Diskpart will let you delete anything on the drive that windows is running from but to be safe I would type
    list volume
    before
    clean
    and make sure you are selecting the correct disk, the partition structure will tell you.

4. andycharlott

Thank you so much for your help. I have just checked who I bought It from, they said it is new but it is not really as what they mean is it has been taken out of a new laptop. I will try to erase all data on the disk and then assign it a drive letter so I can add files to it. I will give this a go when I get home. Thanks so much.
    Andy

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Looks like you need to format it... there is no NTFS

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Yep. It looks like no new volume was created and no new drive letter was assigned in NTFS format.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. andycharlott

Thank you so much it worked. Had looked for so long and read so much but nothing had worked. So thank you so much, I wiped it and iniatised it and have assigned it to Drive F and it was so easy thanks you your instructions.
    Kind regards
    Andy

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Submit a new Disk Management window so Allan and James can look at it and make sure everything looks okay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

9. andycharlott

Hi, Please see attached the disk management photo, the drive is now called Second SSD (F).

Attached Files:

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Looks good!

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Yep looks fine.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice