Added USB Hub to laptop now having lag issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jg1234

Hi Folks,

Every since installing a USB Hub (the hub has a separate power cord) I have noticed lag and issues with my wireless mouse and keyboard as well as my stand alone PC camera.

I listed the issues below followed by my hardware specs. Since the camera and USB hub were purchased at the same time I am not sure which one may be causing the issue. I searched the web but couldn't find any clues. Not sure if updating drivers might help but I believe I have the latest drivers. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks - jg1234

Issues:
  • Wireless mouse and keyboard are laggy and I now I have to hit the Shift key first before I can highlight text with my mouse. Never had to do that before and my mouse and keyboard response time were excellent.
  • When I am using my PC camera which has a built in microphone on MS Teams or Zoom meetings sometimes my system and camera freeze and I have to drop the call or leave the meeting.
Hardware specs:
  • System - Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. About 5-6 years old. Laptop only has 3 USB ports and I need 4.
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-6500 @ 2.50
  • Ram - 8GB
  • Video - AMD Radeon R7 M370 and also Intel HD Graphics 520
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro - 64bit
  • Monitors - I have two 21 inch monitors installed with the laptop. I don't have a docking station. One monitor uses a USB port, the other uses I think a serial port of some kind.
  • Mouse and Keyboard - came as a wireless set (made by logi) that uses one USB port for the receiver.
  • Plantronics headset with powercord
  • Nexigo USB 1080 PC camera (no powercord)
  • Atolla 3.0 USB Hub ( with 4 ports) with powercord
  • --- The 4 USB devices are the mouse/keyboard, one monitor, the camera, and the receiver for the headset. I was instructed to have the monitor and camera plugged directly into the laptop. The remaining USB port is used for the USB hub and the mouse/keyboard and headset are using the hub.
  • Internet - I am on a home WIFI system with good speed and I am the only one during the day using the WIFI in the house. I am in a bit of a dead spot but we are having a WIFI mesh network installed shortly. Not sure if any of that matters for the issues I am seeing?

Thanks.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
I would try plugging the mouse/keyboard into one of the built-in Usb ports and see if the lagging stops.
Also you could remove one device at a time to pinpoint the culprit.

jg1234

I would try plugging the mouse/keyboard into one of the built-in Usb ports and see if the lagging stops.
Also you could remove one device at a time to pinpoint the culprit.
Thanks Allan. That is actually a good point.

I just did what you suggested and there was some real good improvement. There is still lagging but it is better. I will have to keep experimenting to see if I can get it close to seamless. I also turned on the camera and it still seemed better. I am thinking maybe I have too much plugged in/hooked up on my system.

The other day some folks were saying that in general adding a stand alone camera can mess things up and cause issues with lag and connectivity.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online