Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Added USB Hub to laptop now having lag issues

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jg1234 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,

Every since installing a USB Hub (the hub has a separate power cord) I have noticed lag and issues with my wireless mouse and keyboard as well as my stand alone PC camera.

I listed the issues below followed by my hardware specs. Since the camera and USB hub were purchased at the same time I am not sure which one may be causing the issue. I searched the web but couldn't find any clues. Not sure if updating drivers might help but I believe I have the latest drivers. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks - jg1234

Issues:
  • Wireless mouse and keyboard are laggy and I now I have to hit the Shift key first before I can highlight text with my mouse. Never had to do that before and my mouse and keyboard response time were excellent.
  • When I am using my PC camera which has a built in microphone on MS Teams or Zoom meetings sometimes my system and camera freeze and I have to drop the call or leave the meeting.
Hardware specs:
  • System - Lenovo Thinkpad laptop. About 5-6 years old. Laptop only has 3 USB ports and I need 4.
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-6500 @ 2.50
  • Ram - 8GB
  • Video - AMD Radeon R7 M370 and also Intel HD Graphics 520
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro - 64bit
  • Monitors - I have two 21 inch monitors installed with the laptop. I don't have a docking station. One monitor uses a USB port, the other uses I think a serial port of some kind.
  • Mouse and Keyboard - came as a wireless set (made by logi) that uses one USB port for the receiver.
  • Plantronics headset with powercord
  • Nexigo USB 1080 PC camera (no powercord)
  • Atolla 3.0 USB Hub ( with 4 ports) with powercord
  • --- The 4 USB devices are the mouse/keyboard, one monitor, the camera, and the receiver for the headset. I was instructed to have the monitor and camera plugged directly into the laptop. The remaining USB port is used for the USB hub and the mouse/keyboard and headset are using the hub.
  • Internet - I am on a home WIFI system with good speed and I am the only one during the day using the WIFI in the house. I am in a bit of a dead spot but we are having a WIFI mesh network installed shortly. Not sure if any of that matters for the issues I am seeing?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would try plugging the mouse/keyboard into one of the built-in Usb ports and see if the lagging stops.
Also you could remove one device at a time to pinpoint the culprit.

#3 ·
Thanks Allan. That is actually a good point.

I just did what you suggested and there was some real good improvement. There is still lagging but it is better. I will have to keep experimenting to see if I can get it close to seamless. I also turned on the camera and it still seemed better. I am thinking maybe I have too much plugged in/hooked up on my system.

The other day some folks were saying that in general adding a stand alone camera can mess things up and cause issues with lag and connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.