1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Addind hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hewee, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

I have a ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266 REV 1.xx Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266 ACPI BIOS Rev 1002C 10/12/2001
    350 watts of power

Have a 40 gig drive that has 2 partitions on it with 98SE.

Got a removeable rack to put that drive on.
    Got another 60 Gig drive and put 2000 pro on it and made 3 partitions on it.

So I can just take the drive out and put the other in and change OS.

But I also got a big 250 gig drive that came with a pci card so it can see a drive that big.
    Was at my sisters working on it.
    Have two hookups on the motherboard and two on the card for the drives.
    But to get power to the other drive I not have a power plug so use the one from the zip.
    The power cord that came from the power box went to the zip and then from the same plug wires came from it to another plug and it went to the side case fan.
    So can you get another jumper plug to added to the plug that will give me another power plug so I can get power to every thing.

OK back to the 2000 pro. Sister made the 60 2000 pro drive and formated it with NTSF on the 3 partitions.
    Took the other new and use the 2000 pro do format it into 10 partitions of Fat32.

2000 pro see's it all. original.gif
    98 does not see the 10 partitions in the same order that they were made.
    It also too my D: drive in the 40 gig 98 drive and made it an E: drive.
    I did not want that to happen.
    Also the D: on the 250 gig drive shows in my computer but you can open it. Get error on boot up that there is no D: drive. Does not show any file size in my computer for the drive either.
    Sister says that she made it as a storage drive.

So what how do I get it to work.
    Guessing that it was not formated right and they type of drive of drive was not made so 98 and 2000 can both see the drives.
    I want to keep the 98 drive 2 partitions as they are on the 40 gig drive and the same for the 2000 60 gig drives 3 partitions in the same order as they are now.
    Also like to keep what is on the 250 gig drive 10 partitions in the same order.

I can change the partitions size and how many partitions I have if need be but want to have order the same.

I have never done anything like this so I am losted so if you can help I sure can use the help. Let me know what you need to know from me to help you help me.

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

As I was just reminded of...

As a 'Boot Drive',a NTSF can read Fat32 partitions.
    As a 'Boot Drive',a Fat32 CANNOT rean NTSF partitions.

If you are only running 98 and 2000,settle for all Fat32 and you should be fine.As a homogeneous system,it will recognise all of itself,all of the time.

You should consider getting an IDE controller card to prevent having to physically swap out the drives,and a 'System Drive Switch' to select which drive you are booting from.
    The less pulling of wires you have to do,the easier on the hardware...

3. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

I have 98 on a drive
    I have 2000 on another drive
    They are both removable.

So that is why I made the other big 250 gig drive that stays in the PC Fat32. I also got a maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI card that came with the drive.

I don't mine swaping the 98 and 2000 drive out to change OS's.
    But I want 98 to see the 250 gig drive right. The partitions are not showing up in the right order and the D: is not working when I am running 98.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

OK,I think I am following you now...
    The biggest concern you have is the order that the partitions are being read as on the 250.I take it these were all "named" during formatting and are somehow being lettered differently in the OS of the moment. Is that right?
    And you say the 250 (as the 'D' drive) isn't even recognised when you have the 98 OS up? Did you try adding it?
    When you change the hard-drives around,do you do a BIOS check of the drives?

(sorry for all the questions,I'm trying to get a full picture)

5. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Right the order that the partitions are being read as on the 250 is not the same under 98.
    Also the D: is not working under 98 and it took the D: off of the 98 drive and made it E:.
    I will have to check to see how she named all the drives.

What do I look for on the BIOS?

Hey ask what ever you want to because I don't know what all to do and may not be saying things right. :)

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi hewee

Windows 98 likes to call the first partition on the slave drive D. If you have more partitions on your primary drive windows will switch the d partition on it to a E: (this is an old windows fault) I would make the bootable windows 98 drive one large partition (C: ) then you wont need to worry when the slave drive changes to D :

7. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

OK Lurker but I wanted to keep that drive as it was on the 98 drive.
    I have so many things on it now.
    Was going to move it over to the other bigger 250 after I got all working and just keep the program on the 98 drive but still like to keep them on the same partition.
    But why does the D: on the large 250 gig not show up under 98?

Ok is there a way for me to make the big 250 drive as a removeable drive so the drive order does not matter under each OS?

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Hewee...

Windows98 does as they... As you ADD drives to your system, it takes the first partition of the 2nd drive and makes it D - shoving EVERYTHING over.... What a bloody mess!

Windows2000 SHOULD work like WindowsXP, in that IT WILL allow you to set the driver letters to the way you want. Which I find handy! But you have mixed drives.

You are asking to do many thing and will be getting many answers for them...

First, rather than pulling drives out to change boot order, get Partition magic which will install a BOOT LOADER onto the drives, allowing you to choose WHICH drive to boot from.
    Rather than the wear & tear... (TO move data from one PC to another, I prefer to use external Firewire drives... awsome devices).

- Why do you have 10 partitions on a 250GB drive? Thats a lot of little drives to remember. You can download the updated FAT32 tool from Microsoft or use Partition Magic (which I highly recommend) to create and format large partitions. Even the standard FAT32 program can format up to 60GB. The Update (same one used in WindowsME) will handle the larger drives... but Window98 ScanDisk and other utilities stop working at 130GB.

There is not a 20GB barrier for Windows. I have a 120GB drive, its formatted 8/30/78 GB partitions.

For simplicity, Windows2000 is fairly compatible with Windows98 programs (sans drive utilities).

Get Partition magic, reduce your partitions...
    For FAT32, if a partition is less than 8gb, you get 4k blocks, rather than 8 or 16k blocks for the larger size.

With NTFS, you can format 4k blocks for a 120GB drive.

9. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yea I know I asked a lot. My brain is going nuts as this is all new to me.

But can't I make the 250 gig drive so both windows 98 and 2000 see it as removeable so it is like a zip drive but has partitions on it?

That way I can keep the 98 drive the way it is and keep the D: partition on it as D: and not have 98 change it to E:.

I know I can't use windows to do a scan and defag but have norton.

OK on the drive limit of 130 gigs. Is that a total of all the drives or for each drive? Meaning if I had two 120 gig drives I can use windows to scan and defrag.

I have Partition magic but have only used it once to add the D: drive to that 98.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

- To make a HD "removable" - it needs to be placed into a removable interface. A firewire encloser works well for this.

BUT your mobo has to support Firewire booting.

Or, use Partition magic to create a boot menu...

Or chunk out the Windows98

---------------

While you can partition a drive, the OS still has to talk to the hardware side of things and kNOWS its still a single drive.

FAT32-A (Win98~98se) support up to 62GB drives.
    FAT32-B (WinMe - upgrade for 98se) supports larger drives.

Besides... Nroton's SCAn and especially Defrag is far better than Microsofts... so its not a loss.

11. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Thanks compilerxp.
    Waiting to hear back from my sister.

I don't have Firewire and I don't think I would have a place for the card either. Are they pci cards? If so then I could use the one slot that I put the card in for the drive.

12. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

hewee, I feel your pain trying to get people to understand the "removable" drive. I have one, probably very similar to yours.

If I am following you right,Your 2000 has only 1 (the C) and the 98 has 2 (C,D). The simplest thing to do is to create a D drive on the 2000 hard drive. That way all of the partitions in the "storage" drive (the 250 gig) will be seen with the same letter. They should start with E and each one will follow as F,G,H, etc. Since the "removable drives" will have same amount of partitions also. Where does this put your optical drives? O and P? None the less this will fix it.
    Or you can eliminate the D partition from the 98 drive and they will all start from D.

I have run with 3 physical drives (2 removable -1 "fixed") for more than 2 years now with no problems. I am planning to install RedHat 9 on the "fixed drive" if I ever get that figured out. It is bootable as WinMe now.

I just re-read your original post. It says you have 3 partitons on the 2000. Sorry ..............either way You still have to have the same amount of partitions on each drive for them the align the same way.

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

Firewire = $25~40 cards... But your motherboard has to SUPPORT Firewire booting, and that doesn't really happen unless they have Firewire on board built in (ASUS).

I love my firewire drive... so fast... so portable... Check out this enclousre:

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/part-detail.asp?id=409381

$52, includes cabled for BOTH Firewire and USB... friend just ordered it... most firewire enclores are UGLY...

14. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes it is a pain in the you know what with 98. Need to get it so the big 250 does not want to take over the D: on the 40 GB drive.

Had to make the Extended partition because it would only let you
    make so many primary ones. That is why the partitions so in another order I guess.

See image here and next post.

Under 2000 Pro

60 GB drive
    C: - 20.45 gb
    D: - 20.00
    E: - 16.81

250 GB drive
    F: - 29.98
    G: - 29.98
    H: - 29.98
    I: - 24.99
    J: - 24.99
    K: - 24.99
    L: - 24.99
    M: - 19.99
    N: - 23.73

======================================

Under 98SE

Before adding drive 250 GB drive

40 GB drive has 98SE
    C: - 10.00
    D: - 30.00

After adding 250 GB drive

40 GB drive
    C: - 10.00 gb
    D: - 29.9 from the 250 GB BUT this shows that there is no drive

250 GB drive
    E: - 9.75 or from the D: on 98
    F: - 24.99
    G: - 24.99
    H: - 24.99
    I: - 24.99
    J: - 19.6
    K: - 23.7
    L: - 29.9
    M: - 29.9
    N: - 29.9

Attached Files:

15. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

D: not showing up.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice