1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

adding 2.0 usb......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by puter hater, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

Is adding 2.0 usb a difficult task? Does it run along with the reguglar 1.0 USB that is in the system or does it replace it?
    Also where do I go to verify that I have 1.0 and not 2.0?
    Thanks inadvance......

puter hater

Dell 8200
    P4
    2.0 GHZ

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at Dell’s site and it does not mention usb 2.0, just usb under tech specs for your model. It is not hard to install a usb 2.0 card in your computer. Make sure you have an open pci slot and install iaw the card mfg’s instructions. It should work in addition to your onboard usb.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've installed a bunch of the NEC chipset based cards, they're usually less than $20 shipped on Pricewatch. You'll still have the USB 1.1 MB ports, as well as the five new ones on the typical USB 2.0 card. A very worthwhile investment if you're going to be using USB hard disks or CD drives. :)

4. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

need 2.0 for the new scanner and I wanted to get externial DVD RW plus Im hoping for the new digital camera to be 2.0 as well.....(when the time comes) For my model how meny pci slots did it have? Did u take notice?
    Thank you ......

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I recall seeing four pci slots.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi puter hater---I put in an NEC 2.0 card recently, and a CDRW USB external drive- you will NOT BELIEVE how fast these run with the new 2.0!!!!It's great- for burning, you may have to turn the speed down, though. Really depends on the software you burn with, the CDs you use, and what you are creating. Very tricky stuff....read up all you can on just how to burn. Have some good links if you need any.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice