1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding 2nd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimphot, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP desktop and want to add a second hard drive. The hard drive that is on my computer is an EIDE 80gb. I plan to install a Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB 7200rpm EIDE using the slave connector on the primary leg of the IDE controller cable. The secondary IDE leg has a CD-RW and a DVD drive. I know how to jumper and physically install the new drive.

I need detailed instructions on what to do once I have the hard drive physically installed. I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instaed of "Disk Management"?

The new drive will be used for data only. I want to set up the new drive as at least four drives. I assume they will be D, E, F and G. I want to use the new D drive for general data (no more than 4GB), the new E drive for photos (probably 20GB), the new F drive for creating CD images (about 2GB) and the new G drive for scratch, like virtual memory for Photoshop.

Where can I find instructions on how to do this as well as information as to what kind of partitions will best suit my needs? I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instead of "Disk Management"?

I have a copy of "Windows XP Inside and OUT" by Bott & Siechert and I'm sure all the pertinent information is there. I need more of a "cookbook" approach.

Jim:confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice