1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a 2nd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gambler369, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambler369

Gambler369 Thread Starter

I am working on my boys computer they have a 2.1 gig hard drive and have just ran out of room. I have several extra 2.1 gig hard drives from previous replacements and would like to add a 2nd one to there computer. I have never used to hard drives.

Is it as simple as just installing hooking up the ribbon cable. (which is also attached to the primary) the current hard drive letter is c: will it add the d: automaticly and can I just format the d: without erasing the software on the C drive

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I have worked on computers and made very bad mistakes (LOL)

Thanks for you advice
    Steve

2. Mulga

Mulga

Yes, its straightforward, you will have to ensure that the jumpers on the 2nd HDD are set to Slave, then just hook it up as you described, ribbon cable and power. It should come up as D: and can be formatted or partitioned without affecting C:

3. max 8

max 8

to avoid erasing info on your c: by mistake, I would disconnect the c: first, connect the new HD and fdisk and format it.
    That would leave no room for error.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice