1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Adding a bigger drive to RAID 1 mirror

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Got2bMac, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Got2bMac

Got2bMac Thread Starter

I'm looking into replacing the mirrored drives in my IBM xSeries 235 with larger capacity drives, and was wondering if
    anyone could tell me if it is possible to remove and replace the secondary with a larger drive, let the mirror rebuild,
    then replace the primary with a larger drive, and once again let it rebuild... then, (and this is the iffy part...) can I boot from an Acronis or Easus disk (or similar partition utility) and just resize the partition to use the entire drive? As is understand it now, if I rebuild the mirror with larger drives, the capacity will still be that of the original (smaller) drives unless and I can somehow resize the partition.

Any advice/help is appreciated!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, that method should work. The other option is to create a new mirror and clone the old mirror onto the new one.

3. Got2bMac

Got2bMac Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply,
    How would I create a new mirror without disrupting the existing one? Can that be done on the same controller?
    If you need any further information about my current setup, please feel free to ask,
    I'll tell you what I know (which isn't much...).

Thanks again,

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You would have to check there are still empty drive connectors and that the controller supports more then one array. Check the server documentation or use the other method.

A third method is to use imaging software to make an image onto another drive, then remove the two drives, setup the new mirror, then restore the image to the new mirror.

5. Got2bMac

Got2bMac Thread Starter

The third method sounds like it may work for me. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but if that method fails for some reason, I can always put back my original drives, let them rebuild, and be right back where I started, correct?

Also, what would you recommend for imaging software. I've had pretty good luck with Acronis on PC's, never tried it with a server though.

Thanks again,

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, thats correct.

I use Acronis quite a bit, several times on servers with success.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice